PROBLEMS with the POST OFFICE and shipping eggs? Email this agency!

in the uk we have a site called 'Shiply'.
You put on what you want shipped and various carriers log on and put bids on to ship your item.
it is cheaper as the carriers usually drop off a delivery and instead of coming back with an empty vehicle they look on shiply to see if they can bring anything back with them.
better for the environment, better for your pocket and a whole lot quicker than the postal service.
shiply take a percentage from you and a percentage from the carrier so they make a tidy profit.
something for you guys to look into introducing over there??

The USPS just needs to get creative and break out of their old mold. The fact is that the Postal Services primary reason for existence is to transport personal letters to every American home. The new truth is, that people do not send personal letters anymore. We text, email or post on facebook. The USPS cash cow is letter delivery, but that function has been tremendously reduced by the advent of the Internet. All I get in the mail anymore is junk mail. I don't even get bills anymore because I switched to electronic billing and autopay. The USPS needs to change from a primarily letter delivery service to a primarily package delivery service. The infrastructure is already there to do it, and do it better then anyone else. UPS is signing deals with everyone and locking up this market. I pay $75 a year for Amazon.com Prime and I get free 2 day shipping on almost everything I buy and overnight shipping for $3.99 if I need it. I live 30 miles from town and I buy everything I can through Amazon.com. I would buy groceries if I could. LOL! The point is, do you know who delivers everything I buy from Amazon? That's right, UPS. Why is this? Well, because UPS has signed a contract with Amazon.com to provide all of their delivery service at a reduced rate. USPS won't do this, so they are missing out on billions of dollars of revenue from package delivery service. They need to break out of their old letter delivery service mold and adapt to the new world of package delivery.

"junk mail" IS the current cash cow, that is why you are receiving so much of it. In response to letter volume dropping drastically (like you said) USPS is soliciting mailers and they are definitely responsive we are delivering a HUGE amount of what we call box holders now as a result. I know that in very rural areas ups is doing alot of delivery, are you guys aware that ups has signed with the post office and we deliver a large quantity of their packages. It is a little frustrating lol when I am taking a pkg up to the porch and the box says ups but I am delivering it! BUT it is making money for the post office. However, the way that gets done is just as crazy as everything else we and ups do. In the morning the ups guy comes and drops off some percentage of his pkgs for us to deliver. But later on in the day we chat while delivering to THE SAME house!! Go figure!

I had seen this thread and thought I'd hunt it down and read responses.

I ship a lot of eggs. I've had 36 eggs make it to Alaska from California and 28 chicks hatched. I sent eggs to Bakersfield a couple of weeks ago. I shipped on a tuesday although I try to do it on monday's but I was so backed up with eggs I was trying to get them out as fresh as possible. By that friday, they still weren't there. Saturday and monday, they were back up where I live. Those eggs traveled back and forth 3 times! She finally got them tuesday, so from one tuesday to the next to travel 3 hrs away. I had added extras of one of my other breeds other than what she had ordered and the ones she ordered were broken. One one of my FB groups, people are waiting for chicks to be delivered to the PO, chickens that were dead. Boxes with chickens that were smashed although the huge rooster was fine and got loose in the PO, so they had to go and catch it.

I have gotten so many boxes of eggs that I literally cried over. They weren't cheap! Nothing hatch from the ones that weren't broken, eggs scrambled and the bext one?? I got a box dropping with egg, half wrapped in a plastic bag that had a sticker that said recieved damaged. I know this is happening at the hub and pretty sure it's the one near me, because that where the over one week shipment kept going back to.

Any, I'm going to post a link to this thread on FB so others can start slamming them, but there has to be a way to get hold of someone who actually does something. This has been going on for to long and you can't even get your money back cause although they want you to insure, they don't cover it. It's BS!

I ship a lot of eggs. I've had 36 eggs make it to Alaska from California and 28 chicks hatched. I sent eggs to Bakersfield a couple of weeks ago. I shipped on a tuesday although I try to do it on monday's but I was so backed up with eggs I was trying to get them out as fresh as possible. By that friday, they still weren't there. Saturday and monday, they were back up where I live. Those eggs traveled back and forth 3 times! She finally got them tuesday, so from one tuesday to the next to travel 3 hrs away. I had added extras of one of my other breeds other than what she had ordered and the ones she ordered were broken. One one of my FB groups, people are waiting for chicks to be delivered to the PO, chickens that were dead. Boxes with chickens that were smashed although the huge rooster was fine and got loose in the PO, so they had to go and catch it.

I have gotten so many boxes of eggs that I literally cried over. They weren't cheap! Nothing hatch from the ones that weren't broken, eggs scrambled and the bext one?? I got a box dropping with egg, half wrapped in a plastic bag that had a sticker that said recieved damaged. I know this is happening at the hub and pretty sure it's the one near me, because that where the over one week shipment kept going back to.

Any, I'm going to post a link to this thread on FB so others can start slamming them, but there has to be a way to get hold of someone who actually does something. This has been going on for to long and you can't even get your money back cause although they want you to insure, they don't cover it. It's BS!

"slamming them" is not going to do a thing! As long as congress requires the post office to PRE FUND retirement things are going to just get worse, as we are operating in the red. After all the post office can't just "print up some more money" like the government does! Many uniformed people/voters think that the post office gets tax payer money. um WRONG, they just get government regulations that MUST BE complied with.as I have said many times here the problems stem from the top, when you are the problem do you see it? Nope, and neither do they! and they certainly don't care what we at the bottom think

I have done a lot of shipping of both eggs and birds. ALL my issue have involved Texas. Not sure what is going on there. Eggs taking 7 days. Mailed a shipping box priority, it took ELEVEN days priority. I live one state over in NM. Good grief! I've had eggs get to Alaska in 4 days, why is Texas so screwed up.

"slamming them" is not going to do a thing! As long as congress requires the post office to PRE FUND retirement things are going to just get worse, as we are operating in the red. After all the post office can't just "print up some more money" like the government does! Many uniformed people/voters think that the post office gets tax payer money. um WRONG, they just get government regulations that MUST BE complied with.as I have said many times here the problems stem from the top, when you are the problem do you see it? Nope, and neither do they! and they certainly don't care what we at the bottom think

Very well said. I read somewhere that the US has 5 % of the worlds population and USPS handles 40% of the world's mail. You can send a letter all the way from Hawaii to New York for 46 cents.

They handle a huge volume of packages and we need to realize that the packages may be dropped 3 feet on the conveyor. Wrap the precious eggies accordingly. I've gotten 3 separate packages of eggs and only had one single chick hatch, so I know heartbreak and lost $. I believe that 2 of the 3 shippers did a poor job of packing and don't blame the post office for the loss.

Wow, i Must be extremely lucky. My post office here is excellent. Packages coming to me in plain old priority mail gets to me 3 days at the latest. I've had local packages , like from ideal poultry get to me in one day. My carrier calls me when my chicks come in and asks if I want to meet him halfway or if I want to pick them up at the post office. IDK Must have a great office here.

I ship a lot of eggs too. I have never had an egg broken. I have developed a wrapping method that I think you could kick a field goal with the box and not crack an egg. My problem is it taking too long to get to the destination.

Last edited:
My sister was a carrier for years until she was attacked by the same dog 3 times. I have a lot of friends that work for them too. They've told me lots of interesting stories. The main problem is that there are way to many people who no longer take pride in their work. They go to work, make their pay and that's it. Make the ones that do care look like very few and far between.

It's not just USPS, it's everywhere. You should see how my car came back from the shop after my mechanic's trainee got hold of it. I've had a very bad day! That little creep needs to be driving a big wheel, not my BABY! Now I have to go show my mechanic all the damage. I even have a new windshield, I figured that out when I saw my dash. Tomorrow isn't coming soon enough for me to go back.

One thing I read somewhere is that the post office is the only carrier that will deliver baby chicks. Dont know about eggs but that might be the same. That puts us in a tight position with no place to turn to.
I have chicks coming and I am worried. I know they will get to the last place before coming here in fairly good time considering the distance but we live off the major routes and everything takes one extra day to get here. The tricky thing is the last stop before here is only 20 miles away. We could be there in 20 minutes if we knew they were there. Instead they are likely to spend one extra day and they will already be on max travel time.
I am thinking they need to be more flexible and concerned about their customers. Some are. I lost a phone in the mail from my son. One morning I got a call asking if I knew the number being called from. I said yes its the phone lost in the mail from my son. The caller was a worker in the Boise Mail Terminal. We were heading that way the next day so he held it for me. The thing is the phone was out of the box. He looked on the phone to see if there were any numbers. My son had called me on it to check it out before sending it so it had my number. He didnt have to do that. It was past the limits of the job he was paid to do.
I think there are a lot of good people that try to do the right things but as in everything some people are just rats and like rats they cause a lot of misery. Perhaps the problem would be better resolved by finding the actual person causing the delays.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom