Processed my smallest CX ..................

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SteveH, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    .................. at least of the three males . He had bumblefoot a long time ago and the other two caught up in size and then passed him .
    His other leg started bothering him so I butchered him along with a Favorelle and some kind of Cochin mix . That's an 18" wide cast iron box stove he's resting on . The missing breast skin was what I thought to be an abscess ; instead it was more like a round ball of callous between the skin and keel . He weighed 11 and 1/2 pounds dressed !

[​IMG]

My neighbor has a 4' x 4' x 7' wooden smoke house ; I told him he could keep the two smaller birds plus have 2 and 1/2 doz eggs if he would smoke the birds ................................... he's soaking the birds in brine as I type . [​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    11 and 1/2 lbs!?!? [​IMG]

I've never had smoked chicken, but hubby has mentioned it before?? It's really good I take it??

3. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    wow, steve, that is impressive!

how old was he?

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:That's our favorite way to fix chicken! [​IMG]

11 1/2 pounds? [​IMG] How old was he?

6. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    He just turned 7 months ; he was on a restricted diet since 4 weeks of age . BTW , I inspected his heart and liver and they looked perfectly normal ; about half again larger than the other two cockerals though he was nearly three times larger than them in weight . His two brothers are doing good , though one is still limping a little . The four pullets are still going strong and lay an egg every two to three days .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by