Processed my smallest CX ..................

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SteveH, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SteveH

SteveH Songster

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    .................. at least of the three males . He had bumblefoot a long time ago and the other two caught up in size and then passed him .
    His other leg started bothering him so I butchered him along with a Favorelle and some kind of Cochin mix . That's an 18" wide cast iron box stove he's resting on . The missing breast skin was what I thought to be an abscess ; instead it was more like a round ball of callous between the skin and keel . He weighed 11 and 1/2 pounds dressed !

[​IMG]

My neighbor has a 4' x 4' x 7' wooden smoke house ; I told him he could keep the two smaller birds plus have 2 and 1/2 doz eggs if he would smoke the birds ................................... he's soaking the birds in brine as I type . [​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    11 and 1/2 lbs!?!? [​IMG]

I've never had smoked chicken, but hubby has mentioned it before?? It's really good I take it??

3. SteveH

SteveH Songster

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    wow, steve, that is impressive!

how old was he?

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:That's our favorite way to fix chicken! [​IMG]

11 1/2 pounds? [​IMG] How old was he?

6. SteveH

SteveH Songster

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    He just turned 7 months ; he was on a restricted diet since 4 weeks of age . BTW , I inspected his heart and liver and they looked perfectly normal ; about half again larger than the other two cockerals though he was nearly three times larger than them in weight . His two brothers are doing good , though one is still limping a little . The four pullets are still going strong and lay an egg every two to three days .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by