Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Whoever posted the comment about chicks raised outside, I thank you. Hubby and I built outdoor brooder with fenced in outside area that is movable. We officially reclaimed the laundry room. Whoo hoo! Put little meaties in with others and so far they eat the same but they are definitely heavy little guys, we'll see how next week goes.

woot.gif

Fluffballs are cute.. the first week. After that I am ready for them to be big. Stinky, messy, noisy... good to have 'em outside
lol.png
(goes for kids too.. sometimes <_<)

woot.gif

Fluffballs are cute.. the first week. After that I am ready for them to be big. Stinky, messy, noisy... good to have 'em outside
lol.png
(goes for kids too.. sometimes <_<)

I am so with you on this, Tomtommom! Right now I have 23 8 - 9 week olds, and I am so ready for them to go into the freezer. They are not cute anymore, and there are too many of them running all over the place. And the coop reeks. this weekend I am moving them into the big chicken run, and letting my 5 layers free range for the next few weeks just so I can stop them from escaping and running around the yard, the little sh*ts!

So, to answer the question I am often asked of how I can kill cute little chicks, they just aren't that cute by the time I bump them off.

Whoever posted the comment about chicks raised outside, I thank you. Hubby and I built outdoor brooder with fenced in outside area that is movable. We officially reclaimed the laundry room. Whoo hoo! Put little meaties in with others and so far they eat the same but they are definitely heavy little guys, we'll see how next week goes.

You're welcome. Glad you got them outside.

I do not have a source of electricity at my coops (could run a long extension cord, but it would need to be *quite* long), so wondering how early you've had chicks outside without heat?
I have a fairly long extension cord. It really depends on the weather and how many chicks. The more chicks there are, the more they can keep each other warm. This time of year, not before 4 - 5 weeks. In the summer, I could probably do 2 weeks.

21 little meaties went outside on their own today!
clap.gif
It took 4 days of moving the food out before they finally started going on their own. It's so darn funny to see them run.
lau.gif

Last edited:
21 little meaties went outside on their own today!
clap.gif
It took 4 days of moving the food out before they finally started going on their own. It's so darn funny to see them run.
lau.gif
They are cute when they waddle.... even those who aren't very heavy yet still run as if they are.
Our first dozen are still in the 'really cute fuzzball' stage in our brooder set up.... they are figuring out the sand pan for scratching already though since there are meal worms and hulled sunflower seeds to be found there sometimes ;-)
Mindy thought Monday was like Christmas and her birthday all rolled into one when she got to go get chicks at TSC!
lau.gif

How long do the meat chickens need heat? Our night low over the next 7 days is 48. They are 15 days old, have them under the carport with a heat lamp.
Mine are a day short of 3 weeks and still on heat at night. (our temps have been in the 60's during the day) Some are feathering in nicely, but most are pretty bare - except for wings and tails.

Back
Top Bottom