Processing vs coccidia

Myasue

Hatching
Sep 10, 2021
Hi everyone, I recently treated my meat flock for coccidia with corrid, once I noticed one hen acting lethargic. Next day after first treatment three hens past. The rest are fine, eating, drinking. So I've read that there is no waiting period in regards to eggs consumption, but what about processing. Do I have to wait to process them? These chickens are big and ready and my goal was to let them finish up the grower feed and the barrel about to run out.

Trying to figure out why 3 died. Did they have a case of coccidiosis which prompted the treatment?
It would be a brilliant idea to know why 3 birds died so suddenly before eating.
What state are you in? You can quickly get a diagnosis at your state poultry lab if you have a refrigerated carcass. It is a simple process to send the bird and they will send you an overnight FedEx label for the shipping.

Last edited:
Trying to figure out why 3 died. Did they have a case of coccidiosis which prompted the treatment?
It would be a brilliant idea to know why 3 birds died so suddenly before eating.
What state are you in? You can quickly get a diagnosis at your state poultry lab if you have a refrigerated carcass. It is a simple process to send the bird and they will send you an overnight FedEx label for the shipping.
Trying to figure out why three hens died and second guess diagnosis would be a waste of time. When I clearly stated I treated the flock for coccidia with corrid. Have you personally treated your meat chickens for coccidia with corrid? If so, is there a waiting period to process?​

Yes you were clear. The answer is dependent on the dosage you used as there are various dosages recommended for the level of infestation. In the United States, a withdrawal period of 3 days is considered sufficient in most cases.
If you don't mind ingesting remnants of a thiamin blocker, you probably don't have anything to worry about depending on the dosage and the length of time since treatment.
I personally have only given Corid once and another form of amprolium on a separate occasion opting instead for management to control coccidia.
Amprolium, the active ingredient in Corid, interferes with thiamine metabolism. It is a thiamine antagonist, blocking the thiamine receptors, thus preventing carbohydrate synthesis. It has a coccidiostatic effect at lower doses and coccidiocidal at higher doses.

From Cattle Research​

Bilateral cortical necrosis may be a model for considering the etiology of some human brain disease, which is presently not identifiable in biochemical terms. For example, the disease has been induced experimentally by exposing a calf to amprolium, a known thiamine analog inhibitor. This substance is used as a coccidiostat in chicken feed, and although its concentration is considered to have no bearing on human nutrition, the chickens are produced for human consumption and might result in disease under unusual circumstances. It is also possible that an overwhelming infection of human bowel with C. sporogenes might generate neurologic symptoms if thiaminase was found to be produced by the infecting organism.
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/amprolium)

I would still be more concerned about the cause of death than the residual effects from Corid. Not all sudden death is due to coccidiosis. In rare cases, the cause could be a human communicable disease that I would want to consider.
I'm at a loss to understand why finding out what would kill 3 chickens overnight is a waste of time. And a necropsy with lab tests in a poultry diagnostic facility is not a second guess, it is a definitive answer as to why they died.
Who diagnosed the issue as coccidiosis in the first place?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom