processor in Oregon

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by little red coop, Jan 30, 2009.

1. little red coop

little red coop New Egg

Jan 30, 2009
    Centralia, WA
    I read the board on and off for quite a few years and in the past I recall a listing for a poultry processor in Boring, Oregon that charged very reasonable rates for slaughter and processing. I was wondering if anyone had that information or another option between Seattle and Portland. I live in Centralia area.

Also, I was looking at a plucker on line and would like feedback from others on how well the pluckers work, specifically how much residual hand plucking in necessary afterward. Be nice to know what the cleaning of plucker afterward entails , to know if it feasible for two or three birds at a time or if the cleaning makes it necessary to do 20 plus to justify the time.

Thanks everyone.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Welcome!!!

I am not sure about processors, but if you are only doing 5-6 at one time... I say get a friend and you all could be done in a few hours even with hand plucking. Even a dozen won't take too long. Meat birds aren't as tightly feathered as old "stew"hens so are actually pretty easily plucked once scalded at 140 for a minute or so. They'll just rub off!

Good luck finding a processor if you don't feel up to doing your own!

3. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You mean Harrington?

Address: 12195 SE 312th Ave, Boring, OR 97009
    Phone: (503) 663-3151

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by