production down, numbers don't add up

I was thinking that the protein would stack not stay at that 15% or 16%
If you're going through a molt, you want to throw the protein at them. Personally, I would get either a meatbird/broiler crumble or a gamebird feed and feed them that exclusively. No scratch, corn, oatmeal, treats, scraps, etc. Everything you add that's low protein (like scratch and other grains) is going to pull down their daily protein average. Feeding high protein alone will get them through molt the fastest they can do it, and should help your egg production.

What I don't understand is why they no longer use the nest boxes. If anything, I would think that these spaces would be perfect for a bird looking to stay away from the others and lay in peace.
Do you clean the nest boxes and replace the straw regularly? They won't use them if infested with mites/lice.
I clean and replace straw in nests every 2 weeks. 20171109_085630.jpg Immediately if soiled with poop or a broken egg.
Once you figure out why they don't use the nests, I would put some ceramic eggs or golf balls in the nests. The production should go up if they start using them. GC

(Do folks use magnifying glass or are the mites obvious to the naked eye?)
Depends on your eyesight......a good bright light will help.

Bugs check
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

If you do find some...check out this thread:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134783/permethrin-spray

Thanks to all for your answers. I will check the birds for mites and treat them, if mites are found. (Do folks use magnifying glass or are the mites obvious to the naked eye?)...Then, fumigate the coop, put in new bedding and try again.

I'm planning to add floor space soon but maybe I'll cull a few BOs in the interim, as they're prone to broodiness anyway; this is not the callous decision it may sound like, as I've been planning on dispatching them but just haven't got around to it.
That's just plain old flock management. Nothing callous about that. Too many birds? You cull some for the good of the flock. Birds don't fit your flock goals? Cull them and either leave things be, or get birds that do meet your goals. We all have different ways of flock management. Culling (which does not mean to "kill", but simply to remove from the flock) is one of them. Better that than to have crowded, unhappy chickens.

Some improvement though I think I also still have a mite problem; though I haven't seen any on their bodies, several of the buff orpingtons are showing signs of feather damage.

I wanted to ask folks about some permethrin I bought to use on our clothes for tick protection; can the liquid permethrin be sprayed on for similar protection as the dust? If so, what should be the dilution?

Can it also then be used effectively in the coop, in similar fashion?

Duly noted, not to jump to conclusions. I will have another look this evening but I have not yet seen any tell-tale mite or lice sign. Just a handful of birds with ragged feathers and more than a handful with bare heads-which could simply be the result of pecking, as many of them are the younger birds.

If I have to fumigate, I have Sawyer brand permethrin insect repellent 0.5% permethrin, not sure if this is the right strength.

As for bedding, the thing is, I have always used shavings and then switched mid-winter to straw and then more recently to hay. I like the way hay stays nice and fluffy while the shavings quickly pulverize. I was warned about mites in straw but by that point I had already switched. Maybe time to switch back.

Thanks again to all for input.

For what it's worth, straw can come with mites. My friend got a load for her pigs that was just full of mites. But, I don't know exactly what KIND of mites those were, so it may not be that significant.

I want to thank-again-all for input. I have to believe at present the egg production issue is one of overcrowding. All the feather loss on their heads-mostly the younger birds-can be explained by pecking from older birds. I saw a great deal of that behavior yesterday which I have not noticed previously, simply because I haven't had any time to observe them at length.

Still, it was a good day, as we got 12 eggs which hasn't happened in weeks. Furthermore they are laying now-not entirely-in the nest boxes with the fresh hay, including those boxes without wooden eggs. The pullets continue to lay at times in the coop proper but not many. The run is now mostly snow free so there's now several thousand ft2 for them to use when I stop letting them out to free range, sometime this week.

I am building a killing cone and will be culling soon. I plan on a major coop cleaning day on the next warm and breezy afternoon and I may sprinkle some DE everywhere at that time. Expanding the coop when time permits but definitely before adding birds later in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom