production down, numbers don't add up

how long does a molt last?
A slow molt can last months and be almost undetectable. Or be so noticeable you may think she was attacked.
I was thinking that the protein would stack not stay at that 15% or 16%
Nope.
I have read that Duel Purpose/Brown egg layers do much better on a feed with at least 18% Protein. Myself I would even give a lightweight/White egg layer like a Leghorn a higher Protein than most layers feed.
I would look for a 18/20% Protein feed when you use up the feed you have. If you can't find a 18/20% layers feed, then get a All-Flock/Flock Raiser or even a Non-medicated Start & Grow 18/20%, which ever is fresher. Provide Oyster Shell in a separate container. 20180402_093105.jpg . GC

It's down to the each hen how much they lay. I'm wondering what is game bird feed? is it different to chicken fed? (sorry never heard of game feed) and if by doing artifical lighting if they has them all thrown off maybe? are they free range?

They have a big run, are outside daily, though somewhat constricted by the piles of snow. Plenty of room outside to get away from each other. The young birds' heads are definitely showing they've been pecked at by the older birds.

There are bright combs, yes, as well as dull ones. No evidence of egg eating yet.

They have a big run, are outside daily, though somewhat constricted by the piles of snow. Plenty of room outside to get away from each other. The young birds' heads are definitely showing they've been pecked at by the older birds.

There are bright combs, yes, as well as dull ones. No evidence of egg eating yet.
How big is the run in feet by feet? Do you have places where the younger girls can get away from the older ones? In a coop that size, I don't think they can get far enough away for the older ones to think they're showing the proper "respect".

I'm having the same issue, have 21 birds 9 don't lay due to either age, sex, or broodiness. Was averaging 6 to 8 a day now I'm down to 4. Made roll away boxes, and no signs of breaking. Mine free range the last half of the day and I feed 1 part finisher to 2 part layer for a few more days and all the finisher is gone and I'll go to straight layer.

The run is not the issue-plenty of room. The coop may be.

What I don't understand is why they no longer use the nest boxes. If anything, I would think that these spaces would be perfect for a bird looking to stay away from the others and lay in peace.

Instead there's always about 5-6 in the coop at any one time, waiting not always patiently for their turn. I mean even a large coop could feel like a threatening place given this scenario.

I wonder if stress can actually reduce the number of eggs a chicken will lay, i.e. cause a physical change in the bird which may impact the egg-producing characteristics.

Of course I'm conscious that the coop needs to be a tad bigger but they are always let out early so there's not too much waiting around in cramped conditions. And then at night, they fly straight up to the roost and that's it.

I don't expect miracles and I know I can't ever figure out chickens mathematically but even if my 2nd year birds are at 60% that's still 7 eggs/day plus whatever the younger birds contribute; Australorps are supposed to be extraordinary layers.

Age, Diet, living conditions, egg thief.

Age: some breeds lay sporadically as they get older. Super layers burn out about 1.5-2 years of age.
Diet: Layer feed is best for laying hens.
Living Conditions: small space equal stress and may contribute to egg eating.
Egg Thief: vermin running off with your eggs and that includes the scaled kind and the two legged kind.

And you might have a hidden nest somewhere.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom