production down, numbers don't add up

I'm wondering if the coop is too small (8X8) and they are feeling too stressed to lay normally?
I wonder if stress can actually reduce the number of eggs a chicken will lay, i.e. cause a physical change in the bird which may impact the egg-producing characteristics.
Stress can reduce their overall health as well as make not feel 'safe' enough to release an ova.

What I don't understand is why they no longer use the nest boxes.
Older birds(laying or not) can harass/chase the youngers away from the nests. I have an older bird in 'jail' right now for doing that.

Basically the crowding is probably your main issue,
was discussed when you added the birds, now you are seeing it.
Wonders if all are getting adequate feed/water due to pecking order/bullying.
Having a larger run can help, if it is accessible in all weather(protected from snow and wind).
Sunlight is also an issue, it's fairly early yet just past solstice(12 hrs daylight), some of my older layers are come back into lay this last week, some are not there yet.

Certainly following for studies, I got 30 layers, 1/3 are 11 month olds, the rest are 2, 3, 4 yrs old respectively with a roo on the youngest hens coop. I’d been getting 23-28 eggs/day the last 2 wks from getting less than 10 daily previously. I got the birds mentioned without the sex links and the buffs.

Thanks to all for your answers. I will check the birds for mites and treat them, if mites are found. (Do folks use magnifying glass or are the mites obvious to the naked eye?)...Then, fumigate the coop, put in new bedding and try again.

I'm planning to add floor space soon but maybe I'll cull a few BOs in the interim, as they're prone to broodiness anyway; this is not the callous decision it may sound like, as I've been planning on dispatching them but just haven't got around to it.

I would eliminate the area that they're choosing to use for laying, make it so they can't get there. And cull the BOs and run some fecals. I would not drop them to a 16% feed, I'm happier with 18% (though I'm surprised they call that a gamebird, usually gamebird is 22%+). If they're free ranging in your yard, are you sure there aren't hidden nests elsewhere?

Mites may harbor in straw if they are already in the coops,
but I don't think you can bring them in with a bale.

If I have to fumigate, I have Sawyer brand permethrin insect repellent 0.5% permethrin, not sure if this is the right strength.
I linked to a thread earlier that gives dosages. 0.5% is typical I think.

Straw, and hay are different. Straw is hollow inside, which tends to more easily harbor mites. IF you are having problems with mites, I suggest this: https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-Multi-Purpose-Insecticide-8oz/dp/B001EVKCKM?th=1

To teat the birds, I use 1.3 oz. per gallon of luke warm water in a tote, and dip them. In winter when you don't want the birds wet, use dust. I use the same dilution in my sprayer for the coop, and lightly spray nesting material too, although for a heavy infestation, you can increase the strength for spraying the coop, but don't use the higher concentration on the nesting material. Remove all feeders, and waterers prior to spraying, and let it dry before letting birds back into the coop. I follow up in 7 days. For heavier infestation, follow up again in 7 days, so you've sprayed it 3 times, instead of 2.

Back
Top Bottom