Production hen vs. Ameracana

lbwaddle

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
This is my first year to have chickens. I have 1 production hen that looks like a RIR, 2 Ameracaunas, and 1 Wyandotte. They were hatched in July of this year and about 5 days ago I began to have eggs. I know they are not the RIR because they are green. My question is regarding the RIR, she has always been the first to do everything. Has a beautiful comb and wattle and is large but no brown eggs. Wondering what may be going on? Maybe she is a week of so younger then the others? Have attached picture, she is much brighter red then this.

Laura Waddle
Denton, Texas

Hey Denton! :D

They come into their own at their own time. She'll get there.
I have an Ameraucana (from the hatchery so probably really is an easter egger) and a welsummer that were hatched in July. The welsummer is about a week younger.
The Ameraucana just started laying and my welsummer hasn't started yet. I suspect she'll start in a week since she's doing the egg squat now.

RLRs are or at one time were considered a dual purpose breed. Dual purpose chickens are neither a good laying breed or a good broiler breed of chicken so they should start laying in their own good time and not on a humans' time table. That is why brown eggs must sell at a premium to eggs with a white shell.

Brown eggshell laying hens usually lay fewer eggs than white eggshell laying hens produce in an equal time. Since time is money, brown eggs are more expensive by the dozen because of the extra time needed to lay a dozen brown eggs verses the time needed by white eggshell producing hens to lay a dozen white shelled eggs.

welcome-byc.gif

Are your birds free range? Any chance she could be hiding eggs somewhere?

That is interesting because when I got her she was classed as a "production hen" and is to lay daily. She just looks like a RIR.

No, they are in a 10x10x6 area with the coop inside the enclosure. The only time they are out of there, someone is with them.

This is my first year to have chickens. I have 1 production hen that looks like a RIR, 2 Ameracaunas, and 1 Wyandotte. They were hatched in July of this year and about 5 days ago I began to have eggs. I know they are not the RIR because they are green. My question is regarding the RIR, she has always been the first to do everything. Has a beautiful comb and wattle and is large but no brown eggs. Wondering what may be going on? Maybe she is a week of so younger then the others? Have attached picture, she is much brighter red then this.

Laura Waddle
Denton, Texas
You do have a Production Red Hen.The RIR screams out because Newhamp Reds are bred with RIR and makes the Production red.

You egg laying situation is not a problem.She should soon lay.I've dealed with PR's every time I get chicks.I believe mines laid around 7 or 8 months old.Your birds look completely healthy,and look nowhere near under stressed.But it's a bit unbelievable of how well birds hide stressed and sickness.The facial expression has nothing to do with age and laying.Really it just indicates gender.
I checked my hens vents to unsure its not swollen.With her being a PR or RIR,she really shouldn't have laying problems,but she's a first timer.

Do you know their pecking order?Have you saw any kicking,or chasing and picking at another?

This is Little Red.If you notice she has dark reddish on her chest.She is PR.
The only way you can really tell is by that or their egg laying.I believe your's is a PR because of her chest feathering.The RIR a VERY VERY dark bred,all over and is very more likely to have black on the neck,and wings,and don't forget the tail feathers.
I would look at your bird once again.
What hatchery/store did you get her from,and which tub did she come in?

Brown eggshell laying hens usually lay fewer eggs than white eggshell laying hens produce in an equal time. Since time is money, brown eggs are more expensive by the dozen because of the extra time needed to lay a dozen brown eggs verses the time needed by white eggshell producing hens to lay a dozen white shelled eggs.
May be in the USA, you like white eggs. so they produce white eggs for you. the ultimate egg laying machine is the red hybrid "similar to the one in the picture". that lays brown eggs. it comes in so many names and various breeds but more or less they are similar. they are based on RIR rooster and other hens like light sussex, delaware and others.

If the red hybrid is not laying now she will. many pure bred breeds lay better in winter than hybrids.
If she is free ranging, she could be laying somewhere.
The problem with the hybrids they lay hard for a year and half or two and then they stop

Back
Top Bottom