Production pullet breed ID's.

Varglet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Fossil, OR
So, it doesn't matter to me what they are. My chickens are pets. But I do like being able to tell people what their breed is when they ask. So there's only about a hundred production birds that look the same. I'm just curious what these girls actually are. So far I just say they're red and gold production birds. I get the feeling that's all I'm going to be able to call them. All have single combs.

Thank you!

Penny:

Meg:

Natalie:

Where did you get them? Production reds color can vary from dark red to golden since they are hybrids. The golden one maybe a hatchery New Hampshire red.

The lighter ones appear to be red sex links (hybrids that have various brand names like golden comets, Lehman Browns, etc depending upon which company produces them...no means of knowing which one) since they have some white feathers under the red/brown(orange) plumage . The darker one may be a Rhode Island Red or perhaps a generic production red. Unfortunately it's a bit of a complicated subject compared to say a Wyandotte or a Light Sussex which are fairly easily recognised and explained.

The lighter ones appear to be red sex links (hybrids that have various brand names like golden comets, Lehman Browns, etc depending upon which company produces them...no means of knowing which one) since they have some white feathers under the red/brown(orange) plumage . The darker one may be a Rhode Island Red or perhaps a generic production red. Unfortunately it's a bit of a complicated subject compared to say a Wyandotte or a Light Sussex which are fairly easily recognised and explained.  

Thanks. I know there are many names for production birds depending on the breeder. I was just hoping someone might know of differences that could tell me more specifically what they might be. Like the red one, for example. RIR? Production Red? What? Not asking you to answer that; just explaining what I had hoped for for answers.

Basically, I know what they COULD be, I'm looking for anyone that might be able to tell me of any subtle differences that would tell me more specifically what they could be.

I'll probably just continue to call them red (Penny) and gold (Natalie and Meg) production birds. I know the lighter ones are probably considered "red", but it never made sense to me calling a golden colored bird "red", especially when there's an actual red bird right next to them. It confuses the people who ask me about them, because they don't know anything about chickens, usually.

Back
Top Bottom