Prolapse and dead tissue

Pics

NikaStar

Chirping
Feb 21, 2022
Hi everyone.
I currently am in Belarus, vet care minimum for chickens. I have a silkie that's about a year old. She has been laying eggs since 7months old every day or every other day. She had a first prolapse Friday (Feb.18.2022). Maybe it came out on the 17th. It's about-1c here so the prolapse I guess has enough time to crust over. I took her inside and have been keeping her in the dark, soaks about twice or 3 times a day for about 20min. Rubjibg area with prep.h and vaseline. Giving antibiotics daily and trying to push it back in with no results. I'm so worried there is now hope. She seems fine.. eating and drinking and is having bowl movements regularly. She just keeps popping it out! Just doesnt not seem to stay. There doesn't seem to be an egg inside, but shes always pushing... she has been also getting oysters shells and calcium.
Prolapse is getting drier and darker. Please help.

20220218_211215.jpg
20220218_224505.jpg

I am so sorry. I've dealt with reoccuring prolapse in one of my easter egger girls. She is 4 years old now, and hasn't had a problem in almost a year.
I grease up her clean vent, and my gloved fingers, with k-y or vasaline. I gently push in and hold for several minutes. You may need to hold it in for quite a while. If you have a tums tablet, crush and give her half.
If you feed any treats, stop. Make sure she is eating a good all flock feed with oyster shell on the side, or a good layer feed.
Liquid calcium might help, but I have no idea how much to give. I'll tag someone else who may be of more help @Eggcessive

I am so sorry. I've dealt with reoccuring prolapse in one of my easter egger girls. She is 4 years old now, and hasn't had a problem in almost a year.
I grease up her clean vent, and my gloved fingers, with k-y or vasaline. I gently push in and hold for several minutes. You may need to hold it in for quite a while. If you have a tums tablet, crush and give her half.
If you feed any treats, stop. Make sure she is eating a good all flock feed with oyster shell on the side, or a good layer feed.
Liquid calcium might help, but I have no idea how much to give. I'll tag someone else who may be of more help @Eggcessive
I have pushed it in a few times and held it in place for over 10min. Each. For some reason she just keeps pushing it out. It's so discouraging:(((((

I have pushed it in a few times and held it in place for over 10min. Each. For some reason she just keeps pushing it out. It's so discouraging:(((((
Keep making progress posts. It will keep your thread visible, and hopefully draw attention from some of our members who have more experience with this.

Keep making progress posts. It will keep your thread visible, and hopefully draw attention from some of our members who have more experience with this.
As of now she is sleeping (I am 8hrs ahead of nyc time). Prolapse is out in all its glory... I try to keep it moist but it keeps drying out. Vaseline and prep h.

As of now she is sleeping (I am 8hrs ahead of nyc time). Prolapse is out in all its glory... I try to keep it moist but it keeps drying out. Vaseline and prep h.
I'm not sure about using the prep h to keep it moist.
Prep h may dry it out more.
It can also cause irritation to skin. If her bum is irritated she may push more. I'd only use it just prior to pushing the prolapse in.
Someone else may know better, if so I'll defer to their knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom