Prolapse and dead tissue

Great job! And I'm glad your keeping your thread updated. That will give hope to others who search this subject.
While you are waiting for her to begin laying again, I'd research integrating, so that you can get her back into the flock without too much drama.

A few eggs can be in a few weeks. :( she already seems so bored to be alone :(
Can you make her a (safe!) little paddock/pen right off the main group so she can see and be seen for a few days? In my flock I have a couple of old hens with mobility issues who live in their own separate accommodation, and I can put healing birds in with them. Anyone like that in your flock- too slow to do any damage should there be a problem but also good company? I would really wait for the first few eggs. It's tedious, but better than going through all this again.

I will keep her inside for now. It's still very cold here. It's about -2/+5C during the day.
What if she prolapses again after first egg?
How long will I wait for the first egg? Few weeks? I understand shes healing and I dont want to rush her.

I'd just make sure she has calcium available, and she will lay when her body is ready. I agree with keeping her in for now, she will need time to adjust to the cold. I wouldn't put her out all at once. I'd do it gradually. I'd let her out in a pen, inside the run for a few hours each day. Then move her out after it warms up a bit.
If she were to prolapse again, (mine did) it may be much easier to hold it in this time. I hope all goes well for both of you.

Keep her lighting scheme the same as you had during the treatment period and then slowly lengthen it according to how long your days are. If you dramatically increase the amount of light, she'll start trying to lay sooner.

Back
Top Bottom