Prolapse from animal attack

MyISAbrownhens

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Yesterday something got our flock during the day. I believe if was a fox or coyote. It took one hen, and the other is slightly injured. The animal seemed to have grabbed her tail, and ripped our all of her tail feathers. In addition, her vent looks prolapsed, and I’ve only attempted to push it back in once; it didn’t work. A white liquid keeps coming from the vent as well and pasting up her vent. She’s acting perfectly healthy. She’s eating, drinking, foraging, and sleeping normally. She’s also pooping alright. I have no idea what to do. I’ve been cleaning the pasting off of her vent every day and spraying some betadine on the area. I’ve been letting her free range with the flock during the day - they don’t bother her. I keep her in a crate but still with the flock at night so they won’t pick on her. I will post some pictures when I can, but I really worry about what I have to do.

Can you clip away the upper feathers, & get a good picture of the whole area? I see what looks to be abit of intestine, or some portion of her reproductive tract hanging out the side of
Can you clip away the upper feathers, & get a good picture of the whole area? I see what looks to be abit of intestine, or some portion of her reproductive tract hanging out the side of the prolapse.
Yes I just need to wait for my husband to get home so he can hold her while I clip the feathers. What does this mean? I can’t afford to bring her to the vet, so I have no idea how to treat this, especially dealing with her intestines or reproductive tract

As the attack on this hen was taking place, it's possible that the hen was getting ready to lay an egg. If the egg was coming down the oviduct as the attack happened, it may have been broken inside. That would set up the conditions for a prolapse.

Clear liquid discharge often accompanies prolapse due to the egg blocking the cecum. The vent prolapses as the hens body is trying to expel the blockage. As long as there's a blockage, the prolapse won't remain inside if you push it back in.

The best thing for your hen would be to install her in a pet crate on some thick towels to soak up the liquid discharge and so you can monitor what comes out. Give her one calcium tablet directly in her beak. Calcium citrate is best, but Tums will do. This will assist in getting strong contractions going so she can expel the blockage. Be sure she has access to plenty of fresh water as this process can dehydrate her.

Due to the injury from the attack and a possible broken yolk (if this hen is of laying age), an oral antibiotic would be wise. More on prolapse here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Yes I just need to wait for my husband to get home so he can hold her while I clip the feathers. What does this mean? I can’t afford to bring her to the vet, so I have no idea how to treat this, especially dealing with her intestines or reproductive tract
That's fine.

Could mean she has a tear in the flesh of her vent, or an extra bad prolapse. I understand how you feel about a vet, I'm in the same boat.

I had a hen with an incurable Prolapse, that I sadly had to put down. But hopefully you won't have too.

I would try to soak her vent area in warm salt water daily. Add 2 tsp of salt to each quart of water in a dishpan or the sink. That will not burn since it is saline, the same as what is in the body. You can also use chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) an antiseptic in the water. Then keep the prolapsed tissue moist with plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment twice a day. Good advice from @azygous above.

Attachments

• EED04FFE-4CCB-41BA-B96B-C6B3D72A557E.jpeg
    EED04FFE-4CCB-41BA-B96B-C6B3D72A557E.jpeg
    651.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 69704DBA-6177-455C-A519-9E2F3649749B.jpeg
    69704DBA-6177-455C-A519-9E2F3649749B.jpeg
    681.7 KB · Views: 21
  • CFB5B12C-1003-49B2-B791-F953541F5655.jpeg
    CFB5B12C-1003-49B2-B791-F953541F5655.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 19
Can you clip away the upper feathers, & get a good picture of the whole area? I see what looks to be abit of intestine, or some portion of her reproductive tract hanging out the side of the prolapse.

As the attack on this hen was taking place, it's possible that the hen was getting ready to lay an egg. If the egg was coming down the oviduct as the attack happened, it may have been broken inside. That would set up the conditions for a prolapse.

Clear liquid discharge often accompanies prolapse due to the egg blocking the cecum. The vent prolapses as the hens body is trying to expel the blockage. As long as there's a blockage, the prolapse won't remain inside if you push it back in.

The best thing for your hen would be to install her in a pet crate on some thick towels to soak up the liquid discharge and so you can monitor what comes out. Give her one calcium tablet directly in her beak. Calcium citrate is best, but Tums will do. This will assist in getting strong contractions going so she can expel the blockage. Be sure she has access to plenty of fresh water as this process can dehydrate her.

Due to the injury from the attack and a possible broken yolk (if this hen is of laying age), an oral antibiotic would be wise. More on prolapse here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
Thank you very much I’ll do this

Back
Top Bottom