Prolapse from animal attack

As the attack on this hen was taking place, it's possible that the hen was getting ready to lay an egg. If the egg was coming down the oviduct as the attack happened, it may have been broken inside. That would set up the conditions for a prolapse.

Clear liquid discharge often accompanies prolapse due to the egg blocking the cecum. The vent prolapses as the hens body is trying to expel the blockage. As long as there's a blockage, the prolapse won't remain inside if you push it back in.

The best thing for your hen would be to install her in a pet crate on some thick towels to soak up the liquid discharge and so you can monitor what comes out. Give her one calcium tablet directly in her beak. Calcium citrate is best, but Tums will do. This will assist in getting strong contractions going so she can expel the blockage. Be sure she has access to plenty of fresh water as this process can dehydrate her.

Due to the injury from the attack and a possible broken yolk (if this hen is of laying age), an oral antibiotic would be wise. More on prolapse here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
I would try to soak her vent area in warm salt water daily. Add 2 tsp of salt to each quart of water in a dishpan or the sink. That will not burn since it is saline, the same as what is in the body. You can also use chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) an antiseptic in the water. Then keep the prolapsed tissue moist with plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment twice a day. Good advice from @azygous above.
So I’m attempting to gently push to prolapse back in, but her vent is pulsing and resisting it - I’m not sure what to do at this point.

Continue to give one calcium tablet per day. The longest it took a hen of mine to resolve a prolapse was around eight days. When the obstruction clears, the prolapse will retract on its own.

Not necessarily. If the prolapse retracts, then you will know the obstruction has cleared. There could still be material in the oviduct that has to come out if the prolapse hasn't gone back in after she laid that egg.

Back
Top Bottom