Prolapsed duck penis

Beckrns

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2018
Hi
I've just been down to check on my ducks and discovered what I'm pretty sure is my drakes prolapsed penis. It is/has been bleeding as there is blood around the area and around an inch or so of his penis is stuck out. I'm assuming due to too much action during the mating season and he may have cut it causing the bleeding and possibly swelling so it won't go back in.
I'm thinking a salt bath and maybe some sudocrem/antiseptic cream? Any help or advice would be very welcome as I am completely new to this.
Thanks!

As in a hen with a prolapsed vent, a male duck with a penis prolapse requires immediate medical attention so the body part won't dry out, become more swollen, and get infected.

Many of the same treatments also apply. Soaking in Epsom salt, replacing the prolapse back inside, smoothing on cortisone cream and antibiotic ointment to reduce swelling and prevent infection.

Hoping for a successful outcome for the poor boy.

As in a hen with a prolapsed vent, a male duck with a penis prolapse requires immediate medical attention so the body part won't dry out, become more swollen, and get infected.
Thanks for the reply! He's been to the vets today and had a tiny bit snipped off the end and it's gone back in now :)

Many of the same treatments also apply. Soaking in Epsom salt, replacing the prolapse back inside, smoothing on cortisone cream and antibiotic ointment to reduce swelling and prevent infection.

Hoping for a successful outcome for the poor boy.

Hi
I've just been down to check on my ducks and discovered what I'm pretty sure is my drakes prolapsed penis. It is/has been bleeding as there is blood around the area and around an inch or so of his penis is stuck out. I'm assuming due to too much action during the mating season and he may have cut it causing the bleeding and possibly swelling so it won't go back in.
I'm thinking a salt bath and maybe some sudocrem/antiseptic cream? Any help or advice would be very welcome as I am completely new to this.
Thanks!
Hi just seen your post and was wondering how your drake was with the sudocrem? I have exactly the same problem right now so looking for some help please.

Here’s the picture.

Attachments

• 015808C9-CCB6-4C9C-83DE-5E81D55541A1.jpeg
    015808C9-CCB6-4C9C-83DE-5E81D55541A1.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom