Prolapsed vent....PLEASE HELP!!!

Chopper112

Chirping
Sep 2, 2018
I have a Bantam about 7 months old, very small chicken( size of a robin) with a prolapsed vent? I cleaned her up and added preparation H and kept her in a cage for a few days. It seemed to go back in. I brought her back out today and found that it prolapsed again. When she pushes she makes a high pitched noise as if she is trying to lay an egg? I believe she could be over mated by my roosters and has had a problem a few weeks ago with laying a large egg, it had blood on it. Could that be the case as well? She is eating drinking fine. Please suggestion on how to help me or what else it could be if you have experienced this with a cure hopefully. I have attached a few pics. Ty!

Attachments

• 20210113_132410.jpg
    20210113_132410.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210113_132403.jpg
    20210113_132403.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 16
Is she getting a balanced layer feed or are you providing oyster shell for extra calcium? Make sure that she is drinking well. Prolapsed vents can recur, especially with large eggs or any vent damage. Is the prolapse large enough to have an egg inside that? Is she able to poop? I would use honey or a spoonful of sugar with a couple of drops of water to make a syrup, and apply it to help reduce swelling. Once a day give her a warm soak to clean up the vent, but always keep it lubed with the honey/sugar syrup or an oil. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Is she getting a balanced layer feed or are you providing oyster shell for extra calcium? Make sure that she is drinking well. Prolapsed vents can recur, especially with large eggs or any vent damage. Is the prolapse large enough to have an egg inside that? Is she able to poop? I would use honey or a spoonful of sugar with a couple of drops of water to make a syrup, and apply it to help reduce swelling. Once a day give her a warm soak to clean up the vent, but always keep it lubed with the honey/sugar syrup or an oil. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

It almost looks like an egg could be in there. When I apply pressure to push her vent back in she chirps and pushes it back out. Yesterday she pooped good. Almost like when a broody hen poops after a long time setting on eggs. Today I haven't noticed just cottage cheese looking goo around her sticking out vent. What do I do if there is am egg stuck in there?

Back
Top Bottom