Prolapsed Vent.....please HELP!!

Chopper112

Chirping
Sep 2, 2018
I have a 11/2 year old brahma. A few days ago I noticed she was laying in the rain, lethargic, not eating, depressed.....I immediately took her inside to inspect. I quarantined her, noticed her droppings had blood in it and all signs pointed to coccidiosis. Started her and everyone on corrid. After 24-48 hours she perked up eating seemed better. On the 3rd day I noticed a lot if blood in her back end, feathers and vent along with a prolapsed vent which was purple in color ( black and blue). I have since soaked, cleaned, took away food and treating her with Enrofloxacin just in case of infection inside along with probiotics, electrolytes, small amounts cracked corn, and no more then a few hours of light. She is alert, healthy, eating some not much and is not egg bound. I push vent back in, but it stays for a bit then pops back out again. I have used Preparation H and honey around her vent. Is it possible to have her vent stitched? She had layed from time to time extremely large eggs, possibly damaging her vent from strain, hereditary, prone to????. Any suggestions?
I am and have done all kinds of procedures on my chickens, e.g. ( Ascities removal of fluid, egg bound, bumble foot, etc....... ) I am not new to illnesses of all kinds just need help on making a decision on what's best giving her any chance of some recovery outcome.
Please see attached photos

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20210723_114310.jpg
    20210723_114310.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210723_114432.jpg
    20210723_114432.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210723_114440.jpg
    20210723_114440.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 13
Looks like there's a peck wound on the prolapse.

Recently I was treating a prolapsed silkie hen(Caused by severe constipation, was originally told to treat it as if there was a blockage in the reproductive tract, this didn't help at all, & only prolonged the issue) I treated her constipation after all the other treatment I was told to do, didn't help. Her bowels being cleared made her more comfortable, & no more straining.

I ended up having to put my hen down, since her prolapse wouldn't stay in, & then she got fly strike at the end. Was treating her since June 26th for the prolapse.

Make sure it stays moist. Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be used to keep the tissue moist.

Cortisone 10, with aloe helps with both inflammation, & moisturizing, if you can get some. This may help relieve the swelling of the area.

It is possible for a vet to put a stitch or two in the vent to hold the cloaca in. But since she may have been pecked or damaged from too large of an egg, this could happen again. It may take awhile for her cloaca to stay in. A lot depends on how much time you have to deal with this, keep her isolated, away from flies, etc. It can be a frustrating thing to deal with, and I hope that it eventually stays in. Here is some reading about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

https://www.bhwt.org.uk/hen-health/health-problems/prolapse/

Looks like there's a peck wound on the prolapse.

Recently I was treating a prolapsed silkie hen(Caused by severe constipation, was originally told to treat it as if there was a blockage in the reproductive tract, this didn't help at all, & only prolonged the issue) I treated her constipation after all the other treatment I was told to do, didn't help. Her bowels being cleared made her more comfortable, & no more straining.

I ended up having to put my hen down, since her prolapse wouldn't stay in, & then she got fly strike at the end. Was treating her since June 26th for the prolapse.
No pecking at all! She was quarantined before her vent prolapsed. Her poop was diarrhea with blood which lead me to believe coccidiosis. All symptoms pointed to that based on not being egg bound, conditions, symptoms, etc..... tested negative from vet.. I had it tested. Then noticed the prolapsed vent. Was looking for suggestions in what would had caused it, stitches if possible, outcomes, if it looks normal to a prolapsed vent due to color?

No pecking at all! She was quarantined before her vent prolapsed. Her poop was diarrhea with blood which lead me to believe coccidiosis. All symptoms pointed to that based on not being egg bound, conditions, symptoms, etc..... tested negative from vet.. I had it tested. Then noticed the prolapsed vent. Was looking for suggestions in what would had caused it, stitches if possible, outcomes, if it looks normal to a prolapsed vent due to color?
Peck wound.
Screenshot_20210723-131138_Chrome.jpg
The color should be a healthy pinkish color.
20210704_154545.jpg

It is possible for a vet to put a stitch or two in the vent to hold the cloaca in. But since she may have been pecked or damaged from too large of an egg, this could happen again. It may take awhile for her cloaca to stay in. A lot depends on how much time you have to deal with this, keep her isolated, away from flies, etc. It can be a frustrating thing to deal with, and I hope that it eventually stays in. Here is some reading about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

https://www.bhwt.org.uk/hen-health/health-problems/prolapse/
X2

Back
Top Bottom