Prolapsed Vent - what to do?

Bnemeth

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
I have a cochin bantam hen that prolapsed yesterday. I cleaned & soaked her yesterday and let her rest in the house (I wanted to make sure there were no maggots or other dirt before I put her back together). Today I tried to insert the prolapse back in and have not had success yet. I soaked her in water to soften everything then cleaned the prolapse again and used Prep. H to get it back in. The walls do not seem to be constricting and it won't stay inside the hen. Is there anything else I can do or am I not correcting the prolapse right? Please help!

She is eating/drinking and acting normal - she also laid an egg yesterday while she was prolased. Thanks.

try sugar... yes regular table sugar... sprinkle a bit on and the prolapse should go back in... (or at least it works with humans)

It is when tissue that is supposed to be the inside of the vent, comes out- like when laying a too-big egg. It looks like a glob of dark red tissue. Sometimes very small, sometimes the size of an egg even. Not pretty.

I still havent had luck getting her prolapse back in - I currently have honey soaking on her and will try to push it in again tonight and use the vet wrap to secure it in. I think its still to large to fix back in though, any other suggestions to getting it in? How hard should I be pushing to get it in? I hope to get my little hen back in shape and with her buddies soon
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom