Prolapsed Vent - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bnemeth, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I have a cochin bantam hen that prolapsed yesterday. I cleaned & soaked her yesterday and let her rest in the house (I wanted to make sure there were no maggots or other dirt before I put her back together). Today I tried to insert the prolapse back in and have not had success yet. I soaked her in water to soften everything then cleaned the prolapse again and used Prep. H to get it back in. The walls do not seem to be constricting and it won't stay inside the hen. Is there anything else I can do or am I not correcting the prolapse right? Please help!

She is eating/drinking and acting normal - she also laid an egg yesterday while she was prolased. Thanks.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    try sugar... yes regular table sugar... sprinkle a bit on and the prolapse should go back in... (or at least it works with humans)

3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I would try honey, it has been very successful for me.

4. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    What is a prolapsed vent? what does it look like?

5. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    It is when tissue that is supposed to be the inside of the vent, comes out- like when laying a too-big egg. It looks like a glob of dark red tissue. Sometimes very small, sometimes the size of an egg even. Not pretty.

6. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    There's a great guide to fixing a prolapse here - http://littlehenrescue.co.uk/after.aspx. About halfway down the page.
    At least, it looks great! I've never dealt with it but have that page bookmarked in case I ever need it!

7. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I still havent had luck getting her prolapse back in - I currently have honey soaking on her and will try to push it in again tonight and use the vet wrap to secure it in. I think its still to large to fix back in though, any other suggestions to getting it in? How hard should I be pushing to get it in? I hope to get my little hen back in shape and with her buddies soon [​IMG]

8. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan

9. Loves Farm

Loves Farm New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Kelowna, Canada
    I can't get the site to open did you happen to save it? If so, would you mind posting it online?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by