1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Proper/best way to pet a chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lizannhollow, Sep 26, 2014.

1. lizannhollow

lizannhollow In the Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Round Rock
    Hello everyone,
    I just started my chicken adventure so I feel a bit silly asking questions like this. I want my girls to enjoy my touch. I was wondering if chickens have special spots like dogs and their tummy or cats behind the ears. And how do I know if they are enjoying being petted?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They do actually enjoy being stroked and scratched in some places more than others. Chicks I found enjoys having their heads stroked and their crops stroked, especially after they've eaten. Feel for the bottom of the crop and rub/stroke it gently. My chickens off all ages love it.

3. lizannhollow

lizannhollow In the Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Round Rock
    Thank you so much sumi. :)

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I only have one chick but she hates to be touched on her back or top of the head, but she doesn't mind her chest/belly under her neck rubbed. I am brand new to the whole chick thing but I'm thinking a good part will be individuality of the chick and I would imagine it matters how often they are handled and how they are handled

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: