Proper Wound Treatment (coyote)

AltadenaChickens

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2023
Altadena
Hi!
Our lovely Eloise was nabbed on Friday 14th by a coyote and managed to escape, although with serious wounds.

My partner took her inside and shaved off the feathers, cleaned the wound and did minimal stitching.

There is a section of the wound that is wide open, and I am thinking that it it too late to stitch this up, so I am wondering on the best course of action.

Currently I am changing the wound once a day. Applying terramycin antibiotic on the wound and then applying non stick pads with vaseline applied, held in place by a cotton wrap.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Eloise hasn't declined, and I feel that she might have a chance, so I want to give it my best shot. We havnt taken her to the vet as the last time this happened the vet was fast and rough and our chicken died a few hours later from, I guess, shock.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Wound image 1.jpg
    Wound image 1.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 37
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about Eloise.

Looks like you're taking care of the wound o.k. I don't think I would stitch any more.
If the wound starts to have an odor, then get some Chlorhexidine to clean it really well.

Chickens can recover from serious injury even without antibiotics. That said, the wound looks quite deep and broad, so having an antibiotic on hand may be a good idea. Amoxicillin is a good choice.

It's encouraging that she's eating/drinking and had not declined.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about Eloise.

Looks like you're taking care of the wound o.k. I don't think I would stitch any more.
If the wound starts to have an odor, then get some Chlorhexidine to clean it really well.

Chickens can recover from serious injury even without antibiotics. That said, the wound looks quite deep and broad, so having an antibiotic on hand may be a good idea. Amoxicillin is a good choice.

It's encouraging that she's eating/drinking and had not declined.
Hello and thank you:)
How often would wash a wound like this? Once or twice a day?

You've already done your initial cleaning, so I would not wash the wound unless she gets something in it.

A light swabbing of the wound once daily with may be needed if it starts to drain.
Sounds good! I have hope:)
Going through the forums some people give their chickens electrolytes. Would you say that is a helpful thing to do?

Back
Top Bottom