Proper wyandotte face type

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
Hi all, I've been looking at these birds for a few years, since I'm still learning about proper wyandotte shape and standards, I'd like second opinions.
Their body looks good to me but I'm concerned about the head shape. I know wyandotte are supposed to have short, curved beaks but these appear so short that a few look either debeaked or malformed.
Thanks!

Ooof! :sick
1709158095864.png

No: the Standard calls for a beak that is short and well curved (and it doesn't mention it but there should also be some stoutness to it.)
At first when I saw those pictures I thought "these are rather too long, straight, and narrow!" but I kept clicking the arrow and the beaks got worse and worse
This is fine (though the skull should carry forward more)
1709158335352.png

1709158396509.png

This isn't!
I've never seen such a short beak on a chicken.
Good eye. I wouldn't buy from them.
I don't believe they have been selecting for beak shape at all considering how much variability there is. Just got a weird gene in there somewhere.
Myself I have the opposite problem. I am fighting against the long, straight, narrow, overgrown upper mandibles in my d'Anvers.

Ooof! :sickView attachment 3759610
No: the Standard calls for a beak that is short and well curved (and it doesn't mention it but there should also be some stoutness to it.)
At first when I saw those pictures I thought "these are rather too long, straight, and narrow!" but I kept clicking the arrow and the beaks got worse and worse
This is fine (though the skull should carry forward more)
View attachment 3759618
View attachment 3759620
This isn't!
I've never seen such a short beak on a chicken.
Good eye. I wouldn't buy from them.
I don't believe they have been selecting for beak shape at all considering how much variability there is. Just got a weird gene in there somewhere.
Myself I have the opposite problem. I am fighting against the long, straight, narrow, overgrown upper mandibles in my d'Anvers.
So they should look more 'parrot beak' ish. None of the other colors seem to have the beak issues, at least none that they have pictures of. That's a pity, they seem to be pretty good birds other wise

I couldn't get past the tails. Good catch on the beaks. Fair pattern pictured but background birds have poor patterns. Far from $22 per chick quality.

The more I see of BLR stock being sold the more I realize I don't charge enough. And I know mine are not SOP Wyandotte. There is a lot going on with Wyandotte body type perfection. Too bad you don't live closer, I'm giving cockerels and cock birds away for free.

I couldn't get past the tails. Good catch on the beaks. Fair pattern pictured but background birds have poor patterns. Far from $22 per chick quality.

The more I see of BLR stock being sold the more I realize I don't charge enough. And I know mine are not SOP Wyandotte. There is a lot going on with Wyandotte body type perfection. Too bad you don't live closer, I'm giving cockerels and cock birds away for free.
I just looked at your gallery. Wow, your birds are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom