Pros and Cons for using sand

Please give me advice on sand

Hi, I'm planning my coop, which we wanted to incorporate under a deck. Basically we have a 4 foot high deck off our house with two open ends, one end being nest box area and the other end a door for opening up for chickens and cleaning. Under the deck has great drainage and is currently covered in river rock, my husband thought the chickens would do fine straight on the rock but I'm worried about cleaning.
I was going to get him to make a floor and use hay for litter but making a sand pit that can be raked out sounds like it would work.

Its about a 8x 10 foot space, nest boxes and perches would be off the ground, would putting sand and PDZ straight on the ground and just sifting out the poop like as cat box be OK for a Coop?

Note I'm not in a harsh climate, it does not get too cold or too warm and the coop will have good ventilation and the chickens will have access to free range in a grassy back yard with dirt they can scratch in. It rains a fair amount so humidity can be an issue but no problems with flooding, drainage is great.
I'm just trying to figure out how to plan the floor for easy and effective cleaning, for 6-10 chickens.

Advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Please give me advice on sand

Hi, I'm planning my coop, which we wanted to incorporate under a deck. Basically we have a 4 foot high deck off our house with two open ends, one end being nest box area and the other end a door for opening up for chickens and cleaning. Under the deck has great drainage and is currently covered in river rock, my husband thought the chickens would do fine straight on the rock but I'm worried about cleaning.
I was going to get him to make a floor and use hay for litter but making a sand pit that can be raked out sounds like it would work.

Its about a 8x 10 foot space, nest boxes and perches would be off the ground, would putting sand and PDZ straight on the ground and just sifting out the poop like as cat box be OK for a Coop?

Note I'm not in a harsh climate, it does not get too cold or too warm and the coop will have good ventilation and the chickens will have access to free range in a grassy back yard with dirt they can scratch in. It rains a fair amount so humidity can be an issue but no problems with flooding, drainage is great.
I'm just trying to figure out how to plan the floor for easy and effective cleaning, for 6-10 chickens.

Advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Try to put course sand into 1/4 of the area , and see how it works for you. Then make your decision on your like or dislike. This translates to bordering off a 2 X 10 area. Your chickens may like to dust there.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

What is PDZ & DE? I'm planning on a sand run and see many of you reference PDZ & DE mixed in with the sand. What are these things and what do they do/why do you mix them in?
READ POST #83. I answered for another person. Or just go directly to #33 and # 43. This thread has a lot of information.
BUT ABOVE ALL
welcome-byc.gif

Just wondering which brand of sand you use from Lowe's? Is it the Quikrete all purpose sand?

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
i would stay away from the quikrete...in talking with the guy from home depot he could not give me the ingredients to the package...they have different kinds of quickrete sand as well...for sure dont get the play sand..and also remember when you buy man made sand your prolly going to get sillica with it...i would contact quickrete direct and ask...

I am interested in trying sand for our outside coop. We keep the girls in the garage for the winter- letting them out in the yard daily. What is the PDZ? Also when you do the outside coop with sand what do you use for the bottom of the coop so predators do not dig under?
can use electric wire or burry something heavier then chicken wire down 18" or run it like a L some on the coop and the rest of the wire out horizontally on the ground and then cover...i would go two feet on the ground....to make sure...need to use something thicker then chicken wire cause the predators can each thru chicken wire

What is PDZ & DE ? I also use play sand in my run. This is something new I'm trying. I didn't add anything extra to it.
...depending on where you buy from will have one main ingredient in the stuff....zeolite is the main ingredient in what i bought from tractor supply...they are over priced and you get a better deal when you buy from a feed store...my feed store has a different main chemical...not sure what the name of it is but it starts with a p...i believe...here is a pic

Has anyone used construction sand or Class I sand it is sometimes called? It is very course, but I don't know if it's ok for chickens. Anybody have experience with it, any thoughts?
I know I want to use sand, and this stuff seems like a good choice, don't know if it has silica or other no-no's.
yes you want to buy the sand...each section they bring out from the quarry for example...i just got a dump truck full...and they said it was screened at it came from a hundred feet down..they have multiple different types of sand...but they should be "washed masonry sand." best bet is find someone that has large piles of sand and buy from them...i forget what kind and how small the screen that was used...but its very fine...and then i was going to put a larger sand over the top of it...

This is going off the subject of sand, so we may want to start a new thread for inside the coop OR we could take this private.

We do have similar climates and I know CT well since my in-laws all live there.

PDZ is a "stall sweetener" that helps avoid odors from urine and poo. I used it in my horse stalls during the winter (horses were out in the summer.) I've never used it for the coop or run. I prefer lime mixed with diatomaceous earth for the hen areas.
Coccidiosis is a chicken ailment.

Just now I'm off to class (orchid immersion at Longwood Gardens in PA) but I will send you an over-view of my care, my brand new coop, etc. this evening.
I agree but here is my 2 cents: I use sand always and in summer add a little PDZ for odor . I DO NOT EVER use diatomaceous earth because the directions and all my research says for humans to handel with a respirator on. Chickens have very sensitive lungs so I would not be spreading it daily...to each their own, just my opinion. All of this non sense about sand harboring more bacteria and Coccidiosis is just that , non sense. Coccidiosis is found in many animals including dogs and cats it is oportunistic and usually gets in there when conditions are good, think wet, humid, dirty, and then add stressed animal and there you have it. I have had many pups come to me with it. By using sand my coop stays extremely clean and wet sand drys quickly. IMO the best for my climate. I also use in the brooder but put paper towels on top for the first few days til they are eating consistantly from the feeder. Sand holds the heat beautifully in the brooder aand the coop but cools down nicely in the shade for a cool dust bath!

ZEOLITE IS A GOOD absorber, similar to PDZ Brand (essentially the same): The problem is, PRICE. The small container of Zeolite as pictured is many times more expensive than a large bag of PDZ. No need to waste money. Both get the job done, but like keeping my money for other important uses.

The sand in the brooder is a terrific idea for holding heat. Also, it would be easy to keep clean. I'm definitely adopting your idea for my own use. Thank you.

I do use diatomaceous earth outdoors in the run. Mixed with the sand and clay there are no respiratory problems, at least, not for 4 years.

Although I have not used PDZ up to the present, I am going to try it for my new run until the clay is conditioned. My benchmark is the sight of my first earthworm when I'm raking.

I do plan to do an article about building my ideal coop for 6 backyard hens. The project is complete except for a roof on the run for which I have chosen materials. I won't say that building our own coop was less expensive that buying a high-end Amish built coop, but it was an adventure AND I now have the best coop ever (for me.)

Sound like a winner:

I hear Pine Pellets are also good for absorbing waste byproducts. I am giving that a try along with my PDZ.

I would love to build a coop, however I can't saw in a strait line. I hit my fingers or thumbs with a hammer because I am clumsy. Thus, I end up getting a kit and slapping a coop together that way.

Although I have a bag of pine pellets unopened from my horse trailering days, I hesitate to put the pellets into the run for fear that my hens would eat them. Perhaps my girls are smarter than that?

I could dampen the pellets and mix with SAND, but that would be an experiment for Spring when the weather is not 22 degrees in the morning and 39 degrees at noon.

A coop kit sounds like a good compromise for someone who doesn't work with wood. Kits are more easily customized than pre-built coops. To avoid thumb smashing we put our coop together with screws. No nails at all other than the roofing nails.

Back
Top Bottom