Pros and Cons of Cornish

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Anyone have opinions on Cornish standards?

Not CornishXs

I have the bantams (have yet to butcher, need to make time to do so) but apparently my family wants larger birds and not just bantams.

I know they grow slower than crosses, but is that the only downside? Are there health problems only they get?

Pros- Meaty, big, juicy. Basically everything you want in a chicken

Cons- The bigger the bird, the more gross the living situation is. If you don't have a good enclosure, then you will find them smashed in the corner. If you don't have a good system, the birds themselves are filthy! Discussing! And so is the coop! I don't like doing meaties just because of how gross they are! You sound like you know what your doing with your birds though, so I bet you would have it down.

Pros- Meaty, big, juicy. Basically everything you want in a chicken

Cons- The bigger the bird, the more gross the living situation is. If you don't have a good enclosure, then you will find them smashed in the corner. If you don't have a good system, the birds themselves are filthy! Discussing! And so is the coop! I don't like doing meaties just because of how gross they are! You sound like you know what your doing with your birds though, so I bet you would have it down.
I think you are thinking of Cornish cross. Cornish are a heritage bird and aren't nasty like a CX.
I have a dark Cornish and the cons are he is hard feathered. The feathers break easily. Also he has some troubles breeding because of the large chest and short legs

I think you are thinking of Cornish cross. Cornish are a heritage bird and aren't nasty like a CX.
I have a dark Cornish and the cons are he is hard feathered. The feathers break easily. Also he has some troubles breeding because of the large chest and short legs
Probably, I don't have last of experience with meat birds since after I did it ounce I was kinda done. I jus know that the larger bird, larger mess. Thanks, Avery

Okay, so would AI probably be best if I decided to breed them? I know how to, so that's not such a big deal for me.

Okay, so would AI probably be best if I decided to breed them? I know how to, so that's not such a big deal for me.
If you get a good sop cockerel you might have to ai. Which is hard to find. Have to be from a breeder. The hatchery birds are not impressive.
However, shipped eggs tend to get scrambled depending on your sorting center ECT... I ordered 10 eggs 2x from a very good breeder in louisiana. They sent a total of 23 eggs. The post office did a number on them and only one hatched. A friend in WV sent me 18 eggs, 3 were broken and none hatch.

If you get a good sop cockerel you might have to ai. Which is hard to find. Have to be from a breeder. The hatchery birds are not impressive.
However, shipped eggs tend to get scrambled depending on your sorting center ECT... I ordered 10 eggs 2x from a very good breeder in louisiana. They sent a total of 23 eggs. The post office did a number on them and only one hatched. A friend in WV sent me 18 eggs, 3 were broken and none hatch.
I was jist going to get them from a hatcherym im not planning on showing them, jist eat them

Back
Top Bottom