Pros and Cons of Ducks

7736_dscf0007.jpg

there you go a pic of my momma duck. Sitting on her 16 eggs plus one her sister layed in the doghouse , so she got 17 the should hatch 6.9.09.
subliminal message folows: YOU NEED DUCKS buy now

I have 2 pekin ducklings and 2 "mutt" goslings that are a few weeks old --- what entertainment! I swear I could watch them all day and LMAO. I call them "Freaky Beaks" simply because they will all freak out for no reason and run around the yard like the Keystone Cops, ducks quacking and goslings with their little wings stuck out.

Yeah, they're messy, but, as most everyone has said, the CUTE factor is just way beyond!

Gwen

I Love my ducks! They are messy but it is REALLY dry here so any water dries up pretty quickly. I am lucky in that aspect.

I have two Khaki Cambell's and two Black Swedish. I hatched one Call Duck so I am going to buy a couple more to put with this one.

27406_dscn0809.jpg

27406_dscn0806.jpg

27406_dscn0801.jpg

Quote:
Micki, we call them NeverSeeEms where we are in California. When my husband and I go to check water (irrigating) in our rice fields, one area in the foothills has HORRIBLE NeverSeeEms. We come back home with our legs all bitten up and God help you if you scratch because they bleed something fierce. This year I'm going to try putting DE in our boots and rub down our socks with it and maybe even the pant legs to see if that helps.

Oh and I forgot.....THEY LOOOOOVE TO GARDEN with you.

Digging(digging up), eating every bug they see, getting right in the middle of it all!!!

My daughter picked up our duck Mack and went to show my mom and luckily had its but aimed away, and it shot out all over the swing. My daughter laughed so hard. She quick picked up the duck again and went over to her little brother who just watched this whole thing unfold. And she told him "I have a duck and I'm not afraid to use it!" He didn't bug her the rest of the day! We couldn't stop laughing. That saying is something a ducker would nod at and say, "as a matter of fact...........yes!"

LOL Just thought I'd share!!!

Oh the chickens take care of the flies......well at least mine do when they are in the larva stage, and they run around the yard like wild bantys jumping for flies!! It's too funny. To bad we can't post video on here!!

tdgill, Wifezilla, froggie71 Thanks! Share your picts. too!!!!

Quote:
BOTH! "I have a duck and not afraid to use it" is a big clue right there. They are like walking poo filled water guns.. they squirt their poop. For good distances too. Heh.

conny, that's a gorgeous duck.. really loved the muscovies I had(mine were blues and blacks). Message not working though!
wink.png

Hi

I have had ducks for several years now. They are terribly messy. Most winters I am ready to start looking for homes for them. But in the spring when I see them in their pool splashing around or all excited when I let them out in the pasture to forage around I feel it is worth the mess. I have not had any health issues with my ducks but have had some leg problems from time to time. One problem I did have was having more than one drake. I had three at one time and they used to all gang up on one girl while mating. Two went to new homes and the peace was restored, somewhat. As far as the eggs, they keep on coming and they are very delicious. I would eat a duck egg over a chicken egg anytime.

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom