Pros and Cons on a Golden Sexlink Rooster?

Aboldt

Hatching
Mar 16, 2024
I am being given a Golden Sexlink rooster. I currently don’t have a rooster for my flock, but I think one is needed for protection. Research shows they are very gentile and docile. I’m wondering if this is not a good breed for protecting. Thanks in advance for your advice.

:welcome The greatest protection most roosters provide is as a warning system. Some roosters many of them Game fowl will try to fight predators, but most warn and flee to safety. The rooster you are considering will be no worse than most.

Protection in roosters is often misunderstood. A rooster who goes after potential threats heads on is often a dead rooster.

What a rooster should provide is a good warming system; while his hens forage, he should be observing his surroundings fforay potential threat, and sounding an alarm accordingly. If the threat is not spotted in time, and happens to be an areal predator, then it's not unheard of for the rooster to make himself look big, and be noisy, while his hens are crouched, trying to look as small as possible. Sacrifice should be a last case scenario. A rooster killed by a predator leaves the group without a male, and since the predator is sure to come back for seconds (predators tend to return to spots they've found success in), your hens will not have had time to adapt to the change, and find someone else to sound alarms, thus leading to more losses.

Rooster behaviour in regards to humans has little to do with their ability to protect their group

Back
Top Bottom