Prosthetic beak? Anyone ever do this?

budkingston

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Az/Vegas
This is insane, I know, but I got this chicken that somehow lost it's upper beak, a little farther back than the hatchery type modifications I suspect it was a coyote. It is an old injury and is at the nares and not symetrical. This is an older hen, like 4 years and she doesn't lay. But she has an incredible personality and we have grown attached to her. Even with deep feed, she has great difficulty eating and is skeletal under her feathers.

I would like to make a prosthetic beak for her and glue it on with epoxy. I realize I will be gluing it back every now and then. Has anyone ever done this before? I know it is a waste of time and the souppot is a quick fix, but this is a special chicken. Any advice appretiated.

Did you try to google it? Kudos to you guys for doing this for her! She is one lucky chicken
big_smile.png

Do you have an avian vet that you can consult? When I worked for a petshop years ago we had a parrot that came in with a compromised beak and he made a new one for it. They put lots more pressure on their beak than a chicken! It stayed on! Maybe one could give you some suggestions? Good luck and keep us posted! Terri O

I have heard of that with parrots before. I know it can be done, but I don't think it is commonly done. I remember seeing an article about one a few years ago that was a cockatoo that had been injured my its' mate. I am almost positive that they used some sort of dental ceramic or something. I am not sure how you would even find the information via google, but there must be something out there. Maybe google artificial or prosthetic beak and see what you come up with.

I have found a bunch of "feel good" type articles on helping eagles etc., but no information on how it is done. I am thinking Epoxy or JB Weld.

The main problem now is sedation because I doubt that the hen has the patience to sit through the procedure, especially when I use a dremel tool to clean up the excess. I was thinking ether?Anyone got an idea how to sedate a chicken long enough to get the deed done?

Here is what I plan to do...

Use a beak from a donor chicken.

Wrap the hen in a towel to control her.

Zap her with Chloroform

Use a dremel tool to contour the donor beak to her stub

use saran wrap to catch the overflow on the inside of her mouth, then glue the prosthetic on with epoxy

Trim off the excess

Let her free.....
Any comments from anyone taht has a constructive idea?

My bird had one made by an avian vet, and he formed it with fast-curing dental putty. He secured it with little pin-sutures so it looks like Franken-chicken.

It worked great, but it did come off after a month.

Regarding her emaciation, you should get her some baby parrot food and squirt it into her beak to help her get concentrated nutrition until she gains weight. I use a kid feeding tube from a farm supply store to squirt it directly into my bird's crop- 8 oz. 2x daily. It's an 8# bird, mixed 2 parts water to 1 part Exact baby parrot food.

Good luck!

Quote:
I think that is a great idea! Just make sure you watch her at first to make sure the beak works right and be sure not to glue the beak shut!
tongue2.gif

I have found a bunch of "feel good" type articles on helping eagles etc., but no information on how it is done. I am thinking Epoxy or JB Weld.

The main problem now is sedation because I doubt that the hen has the patience to sit through the procedure, especially when I use a dremel tool to clean up the excess. I was thinking ether?Anyone got an idea how to sedate a chicken long enough to get the deed done?

Here is what I plan to do...

Use a beak from a donor chicken.

Wrap the hen in a towel to control her.

Zap her with Chloroform

Use a dremel tool to contour the donor beak to her stub

use saran wrap to catch the overflow on the inside of her mouth, then glue the prosthetic on with epoxy

Trim off the excess

Let her free.....
Any comments from anyone taht has a constructive idea?
Did it ever work for you?

Back
Top Bottom