prosthetic for chicken leg—

Cuween

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2022
I am interested to know if anyone has an idea for fashioning a chicken leg prosthetic , one that is functional, yet inexpensive to share. I was thinking of a system of front and rear springs.

I did see the one the vet college made for $2500. Beautiful but beyond my resources.

There are a number of 3D printer artificial legs that have been designed for chickens. The smaller the chicken, the easier it may be to get around on one. Here are some links:

I have a 1-month old chick who has a deformed foot and also needs a prosthetic. Her foot looks a lot like the chick in the 2nd video that @Eggcessive posted. My chick can stand and hobble around on her deformed foot but balance is extremely difficult for her. She often stretches her good leg super far out in front of her to keep herself from face planting. It almost looks like she is doing the splits. She needs a 3-pronged prosthetic to help her balance. I don't have a 3D printer or $2500. My shot in the dark is that the University of Arkansas has both a Poultry Dept (thank you Tyson...) AND a biomedical engineering program. So I reached out to see if I can get some contacts over there who might be interested in helping me out. Fingers crossed.... 🤞 Naturally the chick is probably going to need them in different sizes as she grows.

20220615_141216.jpg
20220615_141215.jpg

Back
Top Bottom