Protecting Hens from Japan Fallout!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by swearnsue, Mar 15, 2011.

1. swearnsue

swearnsue New Egg

May 7, 2009
    If a radiation plume passes over the United States, what can we do to protect our chickens and make sure their eggs are safe for us to eat? I'm taking Iodine but what can we do about chickens?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    IMHO... don't get too wound-up yet. And DON'T take iodine yet either! It's only good for 48 hours so I understand you should take it only once exposed or just before you know you're going to be exposed.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Chill [​IMG]

4. minnesota birds

minnesota birds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Are You For Real? You Are Thousands Of Miles Away. Your Chickens Will Die Of Old Age First.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Not something I'm going to waste my time worrying about.

6. Mystic Farms

Mystic Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    they said that there is NO danger to anyone even in Japan radiation levels are less than 1/10000 of what you get going thru an airport exray. All the damaged pieces are in a containment building that is doing what it is supposed to do,,, media will do anything to get your attention. so sad they can't be more responsible!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I dunno what anybody says, I'm gonna slather my body with that zinc nose sunburn stuff and wrap myself in tinfoil, then catch all the chickens and do it to them, too.
    So there. [​IMG]

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I would not be overly concerned just yet. And to everyone who is being nasty about it, please stop, this is a legitimate concern and a lot of folks do not understand the ifs and whens or much of anything about radiation. It is not like we face this type of thing often, be patient with folks, and try to maintain a bit of helpfullness would you?

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Who's being nasty about it? I said I'm not going to waste my time worrying about it and I'm not.

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I don't think if a dangerous ploom makes it to the US shores you chickens are going to be your biggest worry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by