Protecting Hens from Japan Fallout!

I have wondered about what to do with my animals also. Living on the west coast, the threat of something coming our way feels a little more urgent. After all the tsunami hit here!
I am going to see if I can get some kelp for my critters. I bought some for us, but it is awfully expensive to give it to the critters. Kelp is a good source of iodine and a good nutritional supplement in any case. I had planned on getting some before this earthquake.
I have no intention of getting panicked, just prepared! I don't think there is much else we can do.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

"Iodine is LIKELY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth at recommended amounts. However, in sensitive people, iodine can cause side effects including swelling of the lips and face (angioedema), severe bleeding and bruising, fever, joint pain, lymph node enlargement, allergic reactions including hives, and death."

I would think twice about taking that iodine right now.

Here is the source to took this from. You may want to read all of it.

www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-35-iodine.aspx?activeIngredientId=35&activeIngredientName=iodine

I been watching the reporys and am concerned over the affects of the ocean getting poisened. Unfortunately this runaway disaster has the potential to affect us all .

Feel great sympathy to the folks in Japan. It is heart wrenching to watch what they are going through.

Quote:
Cindi, I think it's okay to make light of things that are beyond our control. Are you perhaps going for mini-mod position?
hmm.png

As far as the danger, it IS an unknown factor, but there's nothing truly effective be be done against an unconfirmed danger, so I'm with Katy.
Why worry when that isn't anything you can do anyway?

I'd think and do a lot or research before I started taking iodine, though. I also agree with Coyote Magic, if such a thing were to actually happen? Last thing I'd worry about is the birds.

If anyone is going to worry, it will be Washington state. No one else truly needs to worry, but even WA state hasn't had any serious measures yet, and I'd worry about myself first.

Quote:
lol that yard will look really CUTE how about making some little foil antennae and go for the robo/alien look!! hehehe
big_smile.png

Have a cold Corona and watch the sunset - like I do every evening. And, before anybody thinks me flippant, back in the 60's I was envolved with the cleanup of uranium hot sites in New Mexico on the Navajo Reservation for 2 years and was exposed daily to conditions not exactly considered ideal. During that time I received full body scans at the Los Alamos facility and was cleared of any contamination. I'm sure not going to worry about the possibility of fallout now that likely will not be hot enough to be of concern except to doomsayers who, at the very mention of the word, go into a panic. The laterst from the U.S.NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) is that they support, and are assisting, the Japanese approach to containment at the plants affected by the earthquake. Should a threat to civilian lives rise, whether there, or here, warnings will be issued. Until then, if ever, like I said: I'll have a cold Corona and enjoy life as I have for nearly 80 years.

Back
Top Bottom