Protein Content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I have had the boys on chick starter and grower recently, but even that's hard to get. I suggested stopping the layers and just buying growers to my Dad some months back, and he said the growers were more expensive.
Not by very much though. I'll probably try that.
I've not seen All-Flock at all. I'd imagine I could find some in England though.

Assuming you can talk him into it, I would stick with the starter or grower for your flock, or consider mixing maybe half and half so you dilute down the calcium for the boys, up the overall protein, and cut costs a little bit vs just grower.

Once mine are laying they get about 16.5% protein, as I feed a 16% layer pellet plus 17% grower. I've never had picking issues though if I felt the need to bump up protein I could swap out the grower for starter (20.5%).

Assuming you can talk him into it, I would stick with the starter or grower for your flock, or consider mixing maybe half and half so you dilute down the calcium for the boys, up the overall protein, and cut costs a little bit vs just grower.

Once mine are laying they get about 16.5% protein, as I feed a 16% layer pellet plus 17% grower. I've never had picking issues though if I felt the need to bump up protein I could swap out the grower for starter (20.5%).
Great idea, just put that to him and he seems on board with it. It'll make me feel a lot better. I don't trust layers for my laying birds. Thanks everyone for your input!

I am feeding my mixed aged flock growers now after getting advice on here. It is a feed aimed at the consumer not commercial market. The feed in the UK all seems to be lower protein overall. I read that too high protein causes the chicks to grow too quickly and they can develop skeletal and organ problems. Slow-growing is best. Mine run around eating bugs and worms anyway plus get kitchen scraps.

Growers is supposed to have slightly smaller pellets than layers.

Don't limit yourself to feed that has chickens on it or labeled chick or layer. An all flock feed does not have to say all flock on it either.

Ask at your feed store if they have Turkey or Gamebird finisher. It will be around 20% protein and in pellet form. That is an "all flock" feed. I like to use pellets as soon as possible as the birds tend to scatter around and waste crumble form. When my youngest are around 6 weeks we move to pellet. Meat bird finisher is another all flock that is 18 to 20% protein. Again in pellet form. Typically labels with "meat bird" on them cost more even though it's the same ingredients as turkey and gamebird feed. Due diligence in pricing is suggested.

Two things that are lacking in all flock feeds- high calcium and ingredient for prevention of cocci. HIgh calcium is in layer feed so if you have layers you can offer oyster shell on the side for them. Non laying growing birds should not get excessive calcium for prolonged periods. Chick, meat and turkey starters have varying ingredient to prevent cocci in young birds, you do not want to feed that to laying birds. It's these specific additions that restrict feed from being suggested to entire flock of any poultry- an all flock feed.

Life is pretty easy using all flock. It takes extreme conditions to warrant need of cocci prevention and if you brood in doors to 3 to 4 weeks of age then there is no need for it at all. All that's needed when using an all flock is addition of calcium supplement offered free choice in separate container for the layers. I use non medicated chick stater for entire flock when I have birds too small to take pellets then switch to a pellet form all flock as soon as able.

Don't limit yourself to feed that has chickens on it or labeled chick or layer. An all flock feed does not have to say all flock on it either.

Ask at your feed store if they have Turkey or Gamebird finisher. It will be around 20% protein and in pellet form. That is an "all flock" feed. I like to use pellets as soon as possible as the birds tend to scatter around and waste crumble form. When my youngest are around 6 weeks we move to pellet. Meat bird finisher is another all flock that is 18 to 20% protein. Again in pellet form. Typically labels with "meat bird" on them cost more even though it's the same ingredients as turkey and gamebird feed. Due diligence in pricing is suggested.

Two things that are lacking in all flock feeds- high calcium and ingredient for prevention of cocci. HIgh calcium is in layer feed so if you have layers you can offer oyster shell on the side for them. Non laying growing birds should not get excessive calcium for prolonged periods. Chick, meat and turkey starters have varying ingredient to prevent cocci in young birds, you do not want to feed that to laying birds. It's these specific additions that restrict feed from being suggested to entire flock of any poultry- an all flock feed.

Life is pretty easy using all flock. It takes extreme conditions to warrant need of cocci prevention and if you brood in doors to 3 to 4 weeks of age then there is no need for it at all. All that's needed when using an all flock is addition of calcium supplement offered free choice in separate container for the layers. I use non medicated chick stater for entire flock when I have birds too small to take pellets then switch to a pellet form all flock as soon as able.
Thanks! That's extremely helpful. A trip down to the feed store is in order.
I'm sure they'll have something of that sort. Thanks again to everyone.

Ok so we ran out of growers a couple days ago and my dad went to NI.
He was going to pick up four bags of layers, but I asked him to look out for turkey/game bird all flock or something like @Egghead_Jr suggested.
He came back with two bags of layers, and two bags of turkey growers.
Ingredient list below. I notice it does have a coccidiostat.
I'm very happy, thanks for the suggestions. I would certainly not have known to look for turkey feed.
Once my younglings have grown up and the pullet begun laying I will probably mix the growers & layers as suggested.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_152700.jpg
    IMG_20200921_152700.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom