Protein percent

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OhioChickToo, Jun 5, 2010.

1. OhioChickToo

OhioChickToo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Hubbard, Ohio
    What is the optimum percent of protein in feed for layers?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]!

Assumed that the amino acids found in the protein are balanced, something of a minimum requirement for layers would be satisfied by a 12.5% to 18% protein feed, depending on how much the layers are eating. The more they are eating, the lower the protein content of their ration can be. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry

With the warm weather coming on, your hens may not be eating as much so the higher protein levels are what the animal nutritionists recommend.

If you are diluting their diet with low-protein food from other sources, the hens would also benefit from commercial feed with higher protein percentages.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Higher the protien the more eggs you will get. That said not going over 22% percent. Also if you have a heavier breed dual purpose you will want to feed closer to the 18%.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Between 15-18% is more than adequate for layer feed.

AL

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    15-18% may be OK, but was not enough for my birds. I had to switch them to Flock Raiser, which is 22%, to get them to stop picking feathers. I just keep a small dish full of oyster shell next to the feeder, so they can get it if they need it.

6. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    How many chickens in chicken math???????????

Not nearly enough..........

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by