Proud hen cackles

divermike

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Finger Lakes area NY
I have finally started getting eggs, 4-5 a day so far, the other day I was doing some deep litter addition when in the box next to me, one of my hens started making some clucks and cackles like she was very pleased about something, she is one of my New Hampshire reds, our oldest 4 birds, and then she stepped away from a beautiful brown egg. I guess she was really pleased with herself. All the hens seem to want to lay in the same box for some reason, is this normal, is her crowing normal, it sure is funny!?!? what happens when the other 8 get to laying stage?/

Congrats! When the other 8 start laying, you get a chorus of cackles!
wee.gif

And all of them will still want the same box. Here is my BR, waiting for my PR to finish so she can get in there. She stared at her like that for quite a while....

52854_madelide_green_swamp_119.jpg

I also have a picture of three of them in the same nest box at the same time!

That is a great pic, the box is big enough for 2, but it seems 3 want to try to lay at the same time now, we are getting 4 a day regularly, with an occasional smallish whiter egg every so often, kind of like a dwarf egg. But we are so pleased with the girls. I never knew what escape artists chickens are, they have defeated all but my last cage, smart little cluckers!! I let em run in the afternoon where I and my dog can keep an eye on em.

Back
Top Bottom