Proud Mama of a new puppy! New Pics added weekly :-)

So cute!
love.gif

Thanks all- we're so thrilled! He loves the baby training sessions- he's so good at Sit, getting better and better at Come and Down already. He's a natural shaker too- we just have to turn it into shaking on command...when he sits and we offer a treat, he reaches his little paw up like hey, gimme that. and yes, he's got the most precious puppy breath! His kisses are so fun!

Here are 2 more pics...

Last edited:
Thanks all- we're so thrilled! He loves the baby training sessions- he's so good at Sit, getting better and better at Come and Down already. He's a natural shaker too- we just have to turn it into shaking on command...when he sits and we offer a treat, he reaches his little paw up like hey, gimme that. and yes, he's got the most precious puppy breath! His kisses are so fun!

Here are 2 more pics...

Adorable!
love.gif
I love the pic of them together.

We're getting a new puppy this coming week.

The hardest part to me is picking out a name. Lol

yes, we went over and over that... we ended up choosing Sam because I had always loved that name, had it for my 5th child in case it was a 5th son, but lo and behold we had a daughter finally! I never ended up with a Samuel, so this little one is Sammy, then Sam, when he's big and outgrows Sammy.

Sammy is 9 weeks old today and he weighs 12 lbs! Without knowing what he is for sure (beagle/Keeshond?) does that sound average for his age? Is there any chance he could have St Bernard or Leonberger blood in him with his present age/weight ???
Here he is pouncing on Alex- our older dog.....Kowabunga!

Sammy is 9 weeks old today and he weighs 12 lbs! Without knowing what he is for sure (beagle/Keeshond?) does that sound average for his age? Is there any chance he could have St Bernard or Leonberger blood in him with his present age/weight ???
Here he is pouncing on Alex- our older dog.....Kowabunga!

he has big feet and LOTS of fuzz.. probably had a long haired big dad of some sort
You could always get him DNA tested to see what else is in the mix

For fun, I quickly ran Sammy's weight and age through a couple adult weight calculators. They came up with anything from 32 - 45 pounds. These aren't altogether accurate, as one said my Sheltie would end up 35 pounds and she ended up only 20 (fast grower and stopped early). It was even worse for my brother's mutt puppy, who was 8 lbs at 8 weeks. One calculators said she'd be around 25 lbs as an adult and she turned out over 60! To be fair, another pegged her as a 50lb adult. I think that is because she was malnourished when he got her and quickly packed on the pounds with good nutrition.

But I don't think Sammy is a giant breed, as much as that sweet face looks like a small St. Bernard or Leonberger. Or maybe mixed with something smaller.

Here is a copy of a fairly balanced way of approaching puppy weight guesses:

Here are a few of the type of puppy weight estimates often used to calculate puppy growth.....
  • On average, a puppy should double it's birth weight by one week old. Followed by a consistent 5% - 10% daily increase.
  • From the age of 6 weeks onwards, a small breed pup may gain around 5oz per week, a large breed pup around 2.5lbs
  • For medium to large breed puppies, you can get an idea of their adult weight by doubling his weight at 14 weeks and then adding another half of his 14 week figure (eg. your puppy weighs 15lbs at 14 weeks, so... 15+15=30 +7.5= total adult weight 37.5lbs)
  • Again for medium to large breeds, at 6 months old, your puppy may weigh around two-thirds of his adult weight. Giant breeds are more likely to be just about half of their adult weight at this age.
  • You can get puppy weight estimates for tiny and toy breeds, by doublling the weight of your pup at 6 weeks, and then doubling it again to get an idea of his weight at maturity.
So, you can why getting accurate puppy weight estimates is a bit 'hit and miss', there are so many variables! But any of the above calculations will get you in the 'ball park'.

Thanks!! I'll see how he grows- it doesn't really matter. Sort of like a Cracker Jack box surprise...we love him and will just see how big he gets. I do want a Leon someday though...for now- its good to refresh my puppy raising skills and remind myself about how often they go out, wake up, etc... I may end up having a DNA test run later on, but I really think a Keeshond dad is involved, and we know his mom is a Beagle mix and 35 lbs too.
Thanks!

He does have a definate Keeshond look to him, but the floppy ears and tan coloring are throwing me off. I looked at the photo of him chewing on the blue ball and my brain said Lhaso Apso puppy. That tail is typical Keeshond how it curves over the back.
idunno.gif

He is awfully cute though! Have fun with your little guy!

Back
Top Bottom