Proud Papa of baby Chicks!

Uh Oh........I made a boo-boo.

I stopped at the feed store tonight.

And guess what happened.

Yeah, that's right. I came home with another chick.
No, not the kind that requires me to buy her tickets to the movies
and take her out on a nice date with a trip to the seafood restaurant.

No, this one went "Peep, Peep, Peep" all the way home. He he....

I decided to see if they still had some chicks left but they pretty much
sold all their previous chicks and had some new ones in. But! There
was one lonely EE left. And I felt sorry for her so I snatched her up
like you wouldn't believe. My wife asked me if I needed to go to the
hospital and get checked out to see if I was sick or dying of some
strange disease because she thinks I've fallen off my rocker. Well,
I may just have done that because like all of you have said, I've got
chicken fever now. I know I won't be able to have any more than this
really because of space but c'mon. Can you really leave them there
like that in that dark building all night long? She looked lonely so I
brought her home. And if the BR's are definitely roo's, I have one to
replace them with. I will get some pics of her tomorrow for your
viewing enjoyment. She's just as cute as the rest of them but I
don't have a name for her just yet. Oh well, that will follow soon
I'm sure. Thanks to whoever gave me this virus. I hope I find a
cure soon! I just don't know if I can bring any of these home again
for fear of being kicked out! Such a tragedy!

Remember BIG coop.

I built mine first... started in Feb. 08, got my chicks in May and since then I have two breeding pens.

I've got to sell some chickens... because I want to hatch some more.

yeah... just go ahead and buy an incubator....

You are fitting in fine here....

I have family that reminds me that there are addiction and recovery classes for my ailment.

O.K. Here's the newest addition to our clutch! She's a bit skittish but I'm hoping that the time we spend with her she'll come around. Does anyone have any ideas for a name?

Quote:
I think you probably have what are "Easter Eggers" in which case you probably won't get a standard variety (color) but a mixed version of several varieties...you can get some very cool looking chickens that way. I have several easter-eggers myself and they are my most reliable layers. 6 eggs a week from each of them.

I love your "new addition" lol

Quote:
An incubator is in my future, I just know it is! But, I'll have to wait until we get out in the country 'cuz I just don't have enough room to have more chickens. I've been thinking up some plans on a homebuilt so when I get to that point, I can build one of my own. And yes....I feel right at home here!
smile.png

Quote:
That's what I figured since I haven't found any that look quite like the ones I've been finding on certain sites including this one. I really don't care if they are true Ameraucana's because they are my favorite so far anyway. The RIR's are a super close second as they are just as cute. I like the BR's too it's just they will probably be dinner some day soon. This is only if they are roo's. If they aren't, well then they will be laying some eggs for us as well. But from everyone's perspective, they look like boys. Here's some more pics for your judgment.

Awww..... I LOVE your babies!!! Those easter eggers are might cute, green feet & all!!! I have one that looks like Ms Mabel, her name is Pixie! She has grown up to be the prettiest chicken I have. My girls are 15 weeks old now, hoping for eggs around Halloween.
As for the coop, definately make it big enough to have some room for that chicken math, its quite common I hear. I couldn't convince my husband no matter how hard I tried to make the coop bigger, so I'll just have to add on to what I've got. He did good by making a huge run tho..... the girls love to spend their days outside running after bugs & sunning themselves. Also make sure that you can stand up inside the coop w/out wacking your head on the rafters!!
Good luck w/ your babies, hold them close, they grow sooo fast (just like real kids do!)
welcome-byc.gif

I learned about chicken math early on, just like you! watch out! I had hubby build me a coop for 6 and I bought 8 chicks cause you know, one will probably be a roo and I'll probably lose one due to shipping or my own ineptitude. Guess what? I have 8 in a coop for six, all alive and all pullets. So then I needed another coop because hubby wanted guineas and ya gotta throw a few chicks in with the keets, right? + 6 more pullets, all of whom are still alive and at 10 weeks so far look like girls. Then the egg hatching bug bit........................................ Hubby? We need yet another coop! hahaha.
smile.png

I have two easter eggers - they are great birds even if they aren't 'pure'.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom