PSA - Baycox/Endocox for Coccidiosis

amnich1

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2022
This may be old news for folks outside the US, but within the US our most common treatment of coccidiosis is corid (amprolium). I recently introduced several new chickens to my flock all on Medicated feed, one came down with coccidiosis. Put her on corid as well as a prescription sulfa antibiotic from a vet for severe coccidiosis, but after 10 days of this there was no improvement. I very much thought she would not make it. I ordered Endocox from Jedds bird supply and gave her 5mg per day dissolved in 1ml water (she was not eating or drinking at this point, we were hand feeding). This was adjusted to body weight. In 3 days she was 100% recovered. Wanted to share this for others who are struggling with severe and possibly drug resistant coccidiosis. It has been a few weeks now with no relapse. She is good as new!

This may be old news for folks outside the US, but within the US our most common treatment of coccidiosis is corid (amprolium). I recently introduced several new chickens to my flock all on Medicated feed, one came down with coccidiosis. Put her on corid as well as a prescription sulfa antibiotic from a vet for severe coccidiosis, but after 10 days of this there was no improvement. I very much thought she would not make it. I ordered Endocox from Jedds bird supply and gave her 5mg per day dissolved in 1ml water (she was not eating or drinking at this point, we were hand feeding). This was adjusted to body weight. In 3 days she was 100% recovered. Wanted to share this for others who are struggling with severe and possibly drug resistant coccidiosis. It has been a few weeks now with no relapse. She is good as new!
How did you measure out the 5 mg? I have the powder endocox and it only gives instruction 1 teaspoon per gallon.

This is the correct dose for medicating the drinking water.
Oh yes sorry if this was unclear! Definitely use the dose on the package if they are drinking freely or if you have a group you are treating @Pandang81 . The singular pullet I was treating was not drinking on her own. I had seen a post with vet guidance to give 3mg/lb per day so I adjusted to her weight and dissolved that dose in 1ml water so I could be 100% sure it got into her. Otherwise she likely wouldn’t have gotten enough medication if left to her own decision to drink water. This is why I deviated from the package instructions.

Oh yes sorry if this was unclear! Definitely use the dose on the package if they are drinking freely or if you have a group you are treating @Pandang81 . The singular pullet I was treating was not drinking on her own. I had seen a post with vet guidance to give 3mg/lb per day so I adjusted to her weight and dissolved that dose in 1ml water so I could be 100% sure it got into her. Otherwise she likely wouldn’t have gotten enough medication if left to her own decision to drink water. This is why I deviated from the package instructions.
I knew what you meant:) but thank you for clarifying for others that may read your posts.

I knew what you meant:) but thank you for clarifying for others that may read your posts.
I knew what she meant as well. I know the doseage in the endocox package. I am asking the doseage conversion for a single chicken not drinking. Would be good to know if one is too far gone to drink on its own. Kind of like when a chicken needs Corid drench fed directly to it (which I think you’ve helped me with in the past on that particular doseage).

I knew what she meant as well. I know the doseage in the endocox package. I am asking the doseage conversion for a single chicken not drinking. Would be good to know if one is too far gone to drink on its own. Kind of like when a chicken needs Corid drench fed directly to it (which I think you’ve helped me with in the past on that particular doseage).
I will do the math on that later today for you.

Back
Top Bottom