PSA: Close your coop door!

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
I have been letting my little flock out to range in the afternoons until nightfall. Well, NORMALLY I close the door when I do bed check, but what with farm stuff and a late night, I did bed checks. . . Then left without closing the door!
I have a light that automatically turns on at 3:30am, an hour before I get up. I woke up this morning to a cold, nasty rain blowing in from the north with a vengeance, look out my window so I can admire my chickens snug in the coop with their light and the door is open and there are no chickens.
:eek:

I rush out into the rain with my phone flashlight, sneakers, no socks, and pajamas. No chickens in the coop. It's pitch dark, raining hard. No chickens in sight.
I found Nardole first, only because he is white. I thought he was dead-- sprawled out on the grass, completely still. I rushed him to the bright light in the coop to examine him for injuries, and he fluttered out of my arms and started eating. I found Rory next, cautiously approaching my bedroom window.
I called the rest and waved my light, and brave Sarah Jane answered! She came waddling towards the light as fast as her bedraggled little fluff butt could, River Song and Martha behind her.
Romana, of course, is PURE BLACK, and I never would have found her except Jackie started calling for the flock and Romana answered. I had to physically retrieve both of them, as they had wandered too far away from the light to see.
Susan and babies came in on their own, thankfully. She had hunkered down underneath the coop, chicks warm and dry beneath her.
My 3 favorites took the longest to find. I found Missy on the edge of the road. My best guess is the lights from a passing vehicle led her there. She was indignant, soaked through, and VERY happy to be picked up.
Clara and Bill Potts were the farthest away. Somehow, they made it across the cow pasture--100 yards or more through tall grass!
Clara heard me calling and started her distinctive cackle. As soon as I approached with the light, she raced to sit on my feet, Billy mincing along behind.
I am luckier than I deserve-- my chickens were all fine, just a little wet and cold. I have no idea why they would have left the warmth and safety of the coop for the blinding rain and darkness.

Last edited:
Good for you rounding them all up-so scattered! I too wonder Why they would go out in the dark!?
Anybody got a theory?
:caf
I must have looked quite a sight-- bed hair, soaked pajamas, a chicken under each arm and my phone in my mouth.
My initial thought was predator attack, but what sort of incompetent predator can't catch a disoriented chicken in the dark??
Second thought is maybe a stray cat sheltered in the coop at night, and was startled when the light came on.

Still a little soggy, but no harm done.
20181001_130558.jpg

I had my heart in my throat as I read your post. I was so afraid it was going to turn out badly. How wonderful that everybody is okay!! And, I chuckled when I read your description of a crazed, wet chicken collector.

Forgetting to check the coop door happened to me once with much less-happy results. Now, when I close all the chickens and ducks in at night, I go around a second time to make sure all are locked in and I literally say, out loud, "Closed and locked" at each coop.

I'm so glad for you that your story had such a happy ending. Now, dry off and get some sleep!

I would be out there too! Lol

For some chickens, as soon as the light turns off it is like “freeze!”
I knew some breeds practically turn off at night, like cochins, but we installed a camera on our coop where I can see them on my phone in the house. One night, hubby puts them to bed and as soon as he turned off light they froze! I texted him and told him to turn back on and it was like they were being remotely controled lol!

Thank God for dedicated chicken lovers... because sometimes chickens just don’t understand lol.

Good morning!

Back
Top Bottom