PSA: Close your coop door!

I had my heart in my throat as I read your post. I was so afraid it was going to turn out badly. How wonderful that everybody is okay!! And, I chuckled when I read your description of a crazed, wet chicken collector.

Forgetting to check the coop door happened to me once with much less-happy results. Now, when I close all the chickens and ducks in at night, I go around a second time to make sure all are locked in and I literally say, out loud, "Closed and locked" at each coop.

I'm so glad for you that your story had such a happy ending. Now, dry off and get some sleep!
I really thought my chickens were all dead and poor brave Nardole the first to go. He was completely limp when I picked him up, and his head just flopped over the side of my arm.
Shock? Deep sleep? Who knows, but when his head popped up and he fluttered out of my arms it felt like a miracle!

If this is the first time you’ve left the door open it’s probably just the light at 3:30 am.
They’re awake and following a routine except this time they could go out immediately. Early bird gets the worm. Unfortunately they aren’t the smartest creatures.
x2 on this.
For a while I was very, very forgetful on closing up and every morning at 5:30 without fail my whole flock would be spread out all over my lawn.

Btw, you are lucky they didn't get blown away. I had chicks do this and I never, never found them. Literally blown away.

Still a little soggy, but no harm done.
20181001_130558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom