Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

Pics
Angie my pad is only 12"X12" and I have 4 silkie and silkie/cochin mix on it. I don't like to crowd but I would try two of the size u mentioned. If u show them and some of them understand where the heat is the rest should follow.

asset great Idea
smile.png
i'll try when I can use my tablet stupid phone won't let me start thread
Angie my pad is only 12"X12" and I have 4 silkie and silkie/cochin mix on it. I don't like to crowd but I would try two of the size u mentioned. If u show them and some of them understand where the heat is the rest should follow.
I take it it won't let you edit a post either, huh?
lau.gif

I am not impressed with the mobile app, causes a lot of chaotic threads.

I have to give @Chad Duncan the credit for the idea to hang the heater with chains. This is working great with the dog crate. I can easily adjust the hight.

My set up:
Xl dog crate
Grate from old mini refrigerator
4 24" choke chain dog collars
8 carabiners

I use the carabiners and collars to hang the grate from the "ceiling" of the crate. Be sure it is up against the wall of the crate. The chicks love to climb on top and if it's not against the wall you may have a gap they could get trapped in. Draped the heating pad on top of the grate. Then a towel on top. Paying attention to push it around the chains so it covers the back as much as possible to trap more heat in their cave.

I just found this thread with an assist from BB. We are so lucky to have posters like Aart and Blooie that show us newbies innovative methods to accomplish our goal of happy and healthy babies!

We have built a MHP and plan on using it when we receive our chicks March 28+/-. But we really like the grill Aart has exhibited, what is a parent to do?? We had bought an infrared thermometer similar to this one for checking temps on our boat trailer's wheels and it works great for checking the temp in our cave. We paid much less than this at Harbor Freight, must have been on sale but we are pleased with it. Can't wait!! BB

Your Store:
Bellingham, WA
Store Info
(change)​

• Home
    |​
  • Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting​

image_25656.jpg

Double click on above image to view full picture​

Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting
Cen-Tech.gif

Cen-Tech
00ae.png
- Item#61894

190 Reviews
Write A Review

Instantly measure temperatures from a distance with this laser thermometer

Yes, the laser therms are good for measuring the temps on a surface.
The surface of my heating pad and wire rack were about 110-120F.

But do not confuse that with the temps typically given to keep chicks warm with a heat lamp.

When using heating plate/pads you want to go by chick behavior to adjust to the appropriate temp.

This was written for using a lamp, but behaviors are same....just substitute the word 'pad' for 'lamp'.
The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
If they are huddled/piled up right under the lamp and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the lamp as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
If they sleep around the edge of the lamp calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

I ordered the discontinued Sunbeam model 756-500 trying to be sure of avoiding auto-shutoff. $13 on Amazon. I saw a few reviews where people had ordered the newer version of this one (731-500) but then received a different model that has 2-hour auto-off (which cannot be disabled). Sunbeam's website reveals this to be a different model but I do wonder if this means the 731-500 is also being discontinued? After all, they are identical other than this one crucial feature so why would they continue to offer both? I hope I'm wrong because $13 is much more appealing than $30 (for the model offering auto-off override). The whole point of DIY is to either make it better, make it cheaper, or (preferably) both!

Last edited:
Do you think you could extend the 'range'' of the heating pad by covering the top of the pad with a larger, say, cropped or folded down quilt inside a protective cover, having it extend over the sides and part of the back, like the towel in MissJane's photo? So, instead of having just a square foot of heat, you would have more like 2.5 to 3 square feet of heated room? I think Beekissed had some sides and hay on top of their pad too.

Do you think you could extend the 'range'' of the heating pad by covering the top of the pad with a larger, say, cropped or folded down quilt inside a protective cover, having it extend over the sides and part of the back, like the towel in MissJane's photo? So, instead of having just a square foot of heat, you would have more like 2.5 to 3 square feet of heated room? I think Beekissed had some sides and hay on top of their pad too.
The heating pad works by the chicks touching their backs directly against the pad.

Creating the 'cave' type set up, like beekissed and many others,
and miss janes towel 'walls' can be good for blocking drafts when they are little,
and kind of form a 'warm room' when they are older and bigger and need less and more room.

But it won't really 'extend the range' when they are tiny, they need that direct contact.

Back
Top Bottom