Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

Pics
Ok, thanks aart. I have seven coming so they should fit fine under the small pad I already have. Checked it yesterday and it has no auto off, thankfully. I am hoping for some hatches later, and plan on having an initial brooder inside for the first week or two, then moving them into a larger outside area with another pad setup.
Thank you for all your time putting this great information up!

Not sure how I have missed this thread up until now --- have been avidly following the MHP thread, though. I went with more of the "plate" approach (vs cave) myself -- having taken the idea for my frame from a recent post to the MHP thread and using threaded rod, washers and nuts to create adjustable "legs" :

I was very pleasantly surprised with the stability offered by the legs once the washer/nut sets were tightened top and bottom -- have zero concern about tipping/collapse, etc even as the babies get bigger and more rambunctious in their over/under games.

Most importantly, the chicks LOVE their "house" -- I'm brooding directly out in the coop and temps are swinging from mid 50's during the day to low 30's at night right now, put the chicks out there yesterday when we brought them home and they are doing fabulously! Their age ranges from 3 days to a little over a week old, I was curious how well the older ones would adjust to the change in heat source, having been at the store, under lights, for so much longer than the little ones, but all it took was one time of placing them underneath for them to get the idea. I went out last night thinking I might have to "tuck them in" to bed the first time, but they had already filled their crops and put themselves to bed, and nary a peep was heard until it was time to get up this morning.......such an improvement over the restless nights under a light!

I've been experimenting quite a bit with making my own radiant heat panels for our baby ball pythons and red foot tortoise and I wonder if I could make one for our chicks and get rid of the 250W lights, finding this thread just may give me the gumption to give it a try. I use thick panes of glass I have cut at a shop for $5 and under tank heaters (zoo med) and I use the jumpstart thermostat (made for boosting growth with vegetable starts) https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MT...91114823&sr=8-1&keywords=jumpstart+thermostat. I thought I'd pass on that the jump start is relatively inexpensive, like $30 and has a probe that allows you to more closely peg the desired temp compared to a riostat. it can be used with a variety of heat sources, you plug the heating pad right into it and place the probe under the heat source. also there are now relatively inexpensive lazer temp guns that allow you to quickly determine the surface temp of anything you point it at, be it the floor, the heater, the chick etc. using something like glass or plexiglass could have the advantage of producing radiant heat that may more evenly heat the chicks themselves. lots to experiment with here! I love the idea of allowing the chicks to sleep at night, seems way more healthy for them in the long run. I have made a den for our tortoise where the heat panel is the ceiling and it works quite well, I may use a similar design for a brooder. I'll try and find a photo and post it in case it would be useful to someone else.

Last edited:
the day after reading this thread my daughter provided one more motivating factor for getting rid of the heat lamps... ouch!

fast forward 24 hours and it's starting to look worse :~(. I made a brace for her so she would avoid bending her wrist. heat lamps suck...

Ow! Poor kid. Those lamps really are a hazard. I used lower wattage than your common 250 but it was still much too hot for an accidental elbow at 100W.

so, does anyone make an incubator that converts into a brooder after the chicks hatch? seems like a no brainer to me rather than having to duplicate the heat source and thermostat.

so, does anyone make an incubator that converts into a brooder after the chicks hatch?  seems like a no brainer to me rather than having to duplicate the heat source and thermostat. 

An incubator is built to maintain an even temperature throughout. Growing chicks need to be able to adjust their temperature to accommodate growing feathers so having cool space is just as important as having warmth.

An incubator is built to maintain an even temperature throughout. Growing chicks need to be able to adjust their temperature to accommodate growing feathers so having cool space is just as important as having warmth.
yeah, I was thinking an incubator could be designed with sides that flip up to give free access to the inside, so they could come and go as they please.

Quote: Hmmmm...interesting idea .....but heat conveyance is different.
Incubator heating element heats a closed area(some with a fan), chicks couldn't touch their backs to it like with the pseudo heat 'plate' or an MHP.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom