Psychotic PIG!!!!!

It isn't like there is a boar anywhere near here. No one else for miles has any pigs....well other than the wild pigs we haven't seen in several months. Sure wish I had a boar!!!!

Maybe a piggy ball and chain or ground anchor? At least slow her down some. I had a horse, a long time ago, that was an escape artist. Would crawl out of a fenced area (can you imagine?????) if the bottom rail was high enough or jump over if the top rail was low enough. I finally had to graze her in a halter with a big truck tire attached. Only way I could keep her contained.

I hope she doesn't teach your other pig bad things!

Also they are on pasture not in a small pen they have 1 acre fenced to roam and root and forage although they keep the green stuff down pretty much. Also they get fresh scraps from the kitchen too!!!

That's strange. Unless it's her hormones. Or she thinks the grass is greener......
roll.png

The strangest fence containment contraption I have seen was at an Amish farm. A cow was walking around with what looked like a window frame around her neck. I asked about the cow and he said she was an escape artist and the frame was to keep her inside of the fence.​

Well so far almost a WHOLE day without her getting out lol!!! We went and double t posted 2 whole sides of the pen where she chooses to "escape". After these gals are gone to freezer camp we are going to build a wood and wire pen.....gathering ideas now maybe even a concrete underbarrier with wire set in it but with the cost of that their area would be significantly smaller. I really like the idea of raising our own food and being somewhat self sufficient plus we know what they have had put in them so I don't want to give up but the pig plan definately has to be revamped.

I really like the idea of raising our own food and being somewhat self sufficient plus we know what they have had put in them so I don't want to give up but the pig plan definately has to be revamped.

The more programs I watch on PBS about processing plants the more I agree. It will just take you a little tweaking to work the bugs out.​

We had one that was psycho too. It seemed to want to get out because it enjoyed having us chase it. We take good care of ours and rotate them through 4 different 60x80 areas changing every 3wks so that they always have something to dig up...we plant potatoes for them...bring them accorns...buy them pumpkins in the fall and make mud puddles for them. With this psycho of ours it was never enough. We have hog pannels on 4x4's with rebar pounded into the ground every 12" and tin on the other side of the pannels...cattle fencing on the next perimeter and chain link around that. That crazy pig would walk through it like he was a ghost.
Usually we just unload and go at the butcher...with this one my husband stuck around to watch just to make sure the deed was done.

I think sometimes you just get one that is smart enough to want the entertainment, those are the ones who bust through the fence then stand by the gate for you to let them back in, or you get one that is driven to be wild and those are the ones that head for the woods.

If you are looking for ideas on gates and fencing check out the butcher shop...that is what our gait and chute system is modeled after and even though it was a massive amount of work it was worth it. It used to be a 4 man job just to get a pig loaded and now one person can easily move them.

She sure is cute for a psycho. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom