Puffed up 2 week old chick

VictoriaParks

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
I'm new to raising chickens, we just got some baby chicks that are 2 weeks old tomorrow but the last couple days one of them has puffed up, and the other chicks were pecking at her so I've separated her, but not sure what else to do. Have been giving her electrolytes in her water. Both sides of her neck look bare from pecking but not sure if one side has swelled? She is a speckled Sussex and seems to have normal poop, been drinking fine, but was sleeping standing up, and doesn't seem to be as active as the rest. They were supposed to be vaccinated for Coccidiosis and Mareks disease. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!
IMG_3701.jpg
IMG_3703.jpg
IMG_3707.jpg

I'm new to raising chickens, we just got some baby chicks that are 2 weeks old tomorrow but the last couple days one of them has puffed up, and the other chicks were pecking at her so I've separated her, but not sure what else to do. Have been giving her electrolytes in her water. Both sides of her neck look bare from pecking but not sure if one side has swelled? She is a speckled Sussex and seems to have normal poop, been drinking fine, but was sleeping standing up, and doesn't seem to be as active as the rest. They were supposed to be vaccinated for Coccidiosis and Mareks disease. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!View attachment 2614156View attachment 2614159View attachment 2614161
Is her sac really full? I am not an expert, but these people may help...
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@sourland
@gimmie birdies

It looks possibly like a leaking air sac (subcutaneous emphysema) from a bump or trauma. That is air under the skin. This is on the opposite side of the crop. If the chick is in distress, you can insert a needle just into the skin, and withdraw air, or take out the needle and press the air out. If the chick is not havjng trouble breathing or distresse, you can try leaving it alone to be reabsorbed by the body.

It sounds like the chick is weak and possibly dehydrated and not eating. That could be the others are pecking her. You can give her a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench orally for a quick boost, but I would get her drinking water by dipping her beak often. Offer some egg yolk or wet chick feed. Be careful not to choke her. Check her bottom for pasty butt.

It looks possibly like a leaking air sac (subcutaneous emphysema) from a bump or trauma. That is air under the skin. This is on the opposite side of the crop. If the chick is in distress, you can insert a needle just into the skin, and withdraw air, or take out the needle and press the air out. If the chick is not havjng trouble breathing or distresse, you can try leaving it alone to be reabsorbed by the body.

It sounds like the chick is weak and possibly dehydrated and not eating. That could be the others are pecking her. You can give her a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench orally for a quick boost, but I would get her drinking water by dipping her beak often. Offer some egg yolk or wet chick feed. Be careful not to choke her. Check her bottom for pasty butt.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help and the video! Such a relief that it's not a virus. I will give her some egg yolk and make sure she is drinking. I'll also keep an eye on her to see if it gets worse or if she needs us to drain the air. Thank you again!

Up date, I had opted to wait to see if it absorbed back into her and it has. She is doing great now very happy once again! Thank you so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom