pulled her feathers out??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brookiesflock, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Ok so my little black silkie has been sitting on 3 eggs, she has 2 days till her hatch date. every other day I check and clean her nesting box, well I noticed two days ago that the underbelly feathers were missing and just thought it was from her sitting in one spot for along time, well today when I did my normal check all the feathers were gone, is that a normal? And her skin was very soft and smooth not in anyway injured, I'm guessing that is how she keeps them warm?? but i don't know

2. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I am new to the broody thing too. Yes, I think that it is to keep them warm and I think for humidity as well. Someone with more experiance can tell you for sure.

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

my silkie did that. its normal. its to keep the chicks warm and help with the humidity in the eggs

4. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    thats what I thought too, Good now I wont worry and get excited to hatch date, Oh another question are they spot on there due date?

5. stephanie1992

they dont always hatch on there due date. they can hatch a day before or even a few days after.

6. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    thanks so much I will just wait and keep my fingers crossed for all three to hatch [​IMG]

7. stephanie1992

GOOD LUCk!! Hope all goes well!!

8. Brookiesflock

May 25, 2011
    They are HATCHINGG!! one so far Im going to leave her be and let her take control, Is there anything I should do?( Besides the normal proper feed/water/heat) she is in a nesting box about 1 1/2 high is that ok or will the babys fall out? [​IMG]

9. stephanie1992

it should be ok. the babies could fall out, but just check every so often and make sure non are on the ground getting cold

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by