Pullet acting like she can't hold herself up

GatsbysGirl

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Central Illinois
I have a 4 month old pullet who has started acting like her legs can't hold her up. When she does try to walk she is bowlegged. Nothing has happened trauma wise that I know of. Does anyone have any idea what I could do to help her?

I hope someone can help. Had she started laying yet? Could be a vitamin defiency of sorts? Separate her bring her inside. Is she eating or drinking on her own? If not you can try to offer water and food from a syringe.is she lethergic? Is she puffed up with eyes closed? How is her poo? More information is needed.You can try offering vitamins and see if thathelps. Perhaps someone else can be of morehelp.in the meantime look listen to her breathing and feel for any more symptoms that might give you a clue as to what is going on ? Is her feathers ruffled? Does she seem sleepy? Any thing at all that you notice would be helpful to post. We could be of more help with a bit more information. How is her poo? Any more clues at all would help greatly! Best of luck
Anything else you notice at all?

I have encountered something similar on two occasions. I used Polyvisol, a liquid children's vitamin, to supplement riboflavin. I diluted it with water and offered it in an eyedropper squeezing it slowly next to their closed beak. They took it readily and seemed to like it. Both birds recovered in about two weeks. If you google "chicken riboflavin deficiency", it pulls a number of articles and images. One of my birds was affected in her legs, curly toe paralysis I think, and the other in her upper body and neck. Hope that helps, good luck--

She is normal besides the leg issue. Eating and drinking fine. Feces are normal and no other symptoms. I will try the vitamins and keep everyone posted.

Back
Top Bottom