Pullet acting strange, is it an egg?

sphinxface

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Renton, Washington
She's a 4 month old buff leghorn, I walked up to the pen just now and she was "running" but it kinda reminded me of when a dog scoots their butt on the ground, she was very low to the ground it was incredibly strange... She is also preening a whole bunch and keeping her body fairly vertical even to eat which also looks very strange.. i can try to get a video if that helps.

Its my first experience raising chicks so I have no idea what is normal for first time laying an egg, but that wpuld be my guess. She got a big scare last night being shut out of the coop at night when the wind blew the door closed, She ran a lot when I tried to pick her up even in the dark (leghorns :/). I worry maybe if that could have ruined the egg making process if thats what it is... no idea...

Wasn't sure if this is an emergency/disease post or not so sorry if its in the wrong spot!

When I hen starts walking like a penguin it often means they have an egg in the works and that it's stuck, or they are having difficulty passing it. Here's some more info on that and how to help if that is the case with your hen:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

I'm pretty sure thats what it was but shes acting normally now? Shes never laid an egg before and now I'm worried she broke it inside and it's a matter of time before there is an issue... I havent seen any eggy poop or anything, I'll have to watch her closely for a while I think.

On a lighter note our other pullet laid her first pretty little egg without much fuss ;)

Completely normal for point of lay pullets. Imagine going into labor, and you didn't even know you were pregnant. They have absolutely no idea what is going on with their body.

4 months is a bit young to be laying yet.
It would be a good idea to examine her vent and abdomen for any obvious problems, parting the feathers to get a good look.

One of my 16 week white leghorn pullets has laid an egg. Found it in the nest box but it was crushed by the others I am assuming.
Her name is Snowball. Checked her vent which has enlarged and is very moist.
She is always squat-running-- normal behavior.

4 months is a bit young to be laying yet.
It would be a good idea to examine her vent and abdomen for any obvious problems, parting the feathers to get a good look.

The cuckoo maran who is also 4 months laid her first egg yesterday, but shes also huge compared to the others lol

One of my 16 week white leghorn pullets has laid an egg. Found it in the nest box but it was crushed by the others I am assuming.
Her name is Snowball. Checked her vent which has enlarged and is very moist.
She is always squat-running-- normal behavior.
Mine do too, like they're playing fighter jets, haha....but running with butt dragging on ground? Never seen that.

She's a 4 month old buff leghorn, I walked up to the pen just now and she was "running" but it kinda reminded me of when a dog scoots their butt on the ground, she was very low to the ground it was incredibly strange... She is also preening a whole bunch and keeping her body fairly vertical even to eat which also looks very strange.. i can try to get a video if that helps.

I suppose now that I think about it it was kind of a bad analogy. Squat running or walking like a penguin probably describes it a lot better. I never found an egg or anything and she's acting completely normal now. Will they act like that even if there isn't an egg inside?

Back
Top Bottom