Pullet eggs: to hatch or not to hatch?

Chick CJ

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 27, 2009
I read a comment on another post that said that hatching pullet eggs is not a good idea. Can anyone tell me at what age are the eggs usually the most viable and healthiest?
CJ

When they have been laying for a while. ~2-3 months after they have started to lay. I have hatched pullet eggs with no issue, but in general they are infertile since they are still "learning the ropes" with their favorite roo.

Best to use the eggs from mature hens if they are available, but one of my broody pullets successfully hatched about half of her own eggs (as good a ratio as you will usually get with shipped eggs)

Sandie

Spring eggs are the best so where ever you live spring is a little different for me that would be February March and April. Hens lay more eggs then and they are bigger too. If you have your own eggs and someplace to raise them where they will thrive in the winter try it. Just that hatching eggs say the first part of March the pullets begin to lay now and should lay all through winter and the hens from last year begin to molt in September when your pullets should be laying good.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
I am thinking of trying my hand at hatching some eggs myself. I think I will wait until next year.
CJ

Back
Top Bottom