Pullet feathers?

hihuckleberry

Chirping
Feb 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Hi,

I have 3 birds between the ages of 6-8 months. They all have no butt feathers (they came like that from the feed barn i bought them from, apparently they would pick at each other). they are just starting to grow back, i see some fluff. is it normal for pullets to have very little tail? when will they grow a big fluffy butt like the ones i see others have?

Attachments

• 1B9CC5F3-E73B-46AD-A111-8821E308B494.jpeg
    1B9CC5F3-E73B-46AD-A111-8821E308B494.jpeg
    950 KB · Views: 15
Are they actually missing feathers or are they rumpless? The {EDT: the one in front} almost looks like an araucana crossbred to me.

EDT: Unusual amounts of preening, egg sacs in clusters around the hens' vents, and patches of missing feathers can all indicate mites or lice.

Check them over real well for mites and/or lice.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

If you do find some...check out this thread:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134783/permethrin-spray

Is it possible that they do not have mites but have lost feathers due to stress or others pecking at them? I noticed they peck each others butts a lot....

Back
Top Bottom