Pullet has bloody vent, lethargic

CindyinSD

All will be well, and that will be well is well.
Aug 3, 2018
Black Hills, South Dakota, USA
I found one of my 8 month old Buckeye pullets huddled in the nesting box this morning. Her bottom is bloody in and around the vent. I’ve been getting a light brown blood-smeared small-medium egg every couple/three days for 6-8 weeks. I figured somebody must have a tight canal and it would hopefully resolve itself. I can fit only two fingers, snugly, between her pubic bones. There was a green egg near her, but no lt brown Buckeye egg.

I brought her inside and soaked her bottom clean. It looks pretty bad.

77BAD26F-A497-4B36-A52A-BD57C5B1005D.jpeg
B5E8D148-1B5F-4FC8-9C59-630DDA650AEA.jpeg

My theory is that she had blood from laying, which attracted pecking, but she didn’t lay in the last couple of days, or if she did, she didn’t bleed. I haven’t noticed any bullying recently. This must have happened since I put them to bed last night.

I dried her off and put her in the hospital crate. She is eating and drinking on her own—not very much, but not reluctantly. She did poop. Very watery, and you see what was in her vent. Not a lot of help, but here’s the pic below, anyway:

8117A129-5D90-4D58-AAB9-88F9596787F7.jpeg

There are around 40 chickens living in the greenhouse over winter. Here is their space before I finished furnishing it: 36’x40’. There are now a nesting area and a number of pallets for hiding spots. There’s also a rehab “coop” (4’x7’) along one side. The girl in it should be about ready to move out, I guess... They’ve been stuck inside for some weeks because it’s kind of remote from the house and there’ve been coyotes wandering around in search of protein. (I have a couple e-fence wires around the greenhouse.)

E34E255D-9837-4E2E-A39B-7349D445287A.jpeg

So I guess I’ll maybe keep my poor Buckeye pullet in the garage for a day or two, then put her in the rehab coop? If it turns out she is the one laying blood-smeared eggs, is that likely to resolve, or do you all think I’ll have to cull her?

Did you wash her butt before or after the photo was taken? It's a little out of focus but is that yellow stuff pus? The source of the blood coming from her vent could be from a reproductive tract infection, tumors, or coccidiosis and a bacterial infection in the intestines. If so, she may require an oral antibiotic, and her lethargic state also is a vote for an antibiotic.

She will require daily soakings in Epsom salt and Betadine, dry and spray with Vetericyn and then topical antibiotic ointment in between soaks. She has a good chance to recover if you can protect her from the others pecking her wound and give her the daily wound care she requires.

So sorry about your hen. Is the yellow material at the top fat? She was vent pecked pretty bad. I would do the daily warm butt soak and use some antibiotic ointment on the wounds after she is dry. Dry her well before placing her outside in a crate. Keep her separated until she heals.

Sometimes they do that to a hen that has had a prolapsed vent, or due to overcrowding, boredom, or a lack of protein (less than 16-20%) in the diet. Watch out for your other hens, look for a possible bully, and check to see they are getting at least 90% of chicken layer or all flock feed as their diet. It is tough not being able to get out as much. Hopefully, this hen will heal without too much damage to her vent.

“Did you wash her butt before or after the photo was taken? It's a little out of focus but is that yellow stuff pus? The source of the blood coming from her vent could be from a reproductive tract infection, tumors, or coccidiosis and a bacterial infection in the intestines. If so, she may require an oral antibiotic, and her lethargic state also is a vote for an antibiotic.”
Yes, I washed her first thing when I brought her in, dried her off, took care of my mom, had breakfast... There’s no pus, though. That is exposed fatty tissue, poor thing. I feel pretty sure the blood is from her vent. Most of the eggshell real estate is clear and the smears have distinct edges and a brush-mark-like appearance. I don’t see a prolapse but I wouldn’t be surprised to see one during lay if I had that opportunity. I suspect the lethargy is more of a response to being beat up than anything else because they were all perky, excited for supper last night. I feel pretty sure I would have noticed. I did feel inside her oviduct for an egg. I couldn’t find any bumps.
She will require daily soakings in Epsom salt and Betadine, dry and spray with Vetericyn and then topical antibiotic ointment in between soaks. She has a good chance to recover if you can protect her from the others pecking her wound and give her the daily wound care she requires.
I put some gel-type Vetericyn on, since that’s what I have, but I have to go to town later today so I can get some spray, and I have antibiotic ointment sans analgesics. Thanks for the advice. Do you put the betadine in the soak or apply it after?
So sorry about your hen. Is the yellow material at the top fat? She was vent pecked pretty bad. I would do the daily warm butt soak and use some antibiotic ointment on the wounds after she is dry. Dry her well before placing her outside in a crate. Keep her separated until she heals
Yes, it is fat. :hitI’ll keep her in the garage as long as she needs treatment, and then put her out into a rehab coop inside the greenhouse.
Sometimes they do that to a hen that has had a prolapsed vent, or due to overcrowding, boredom, or a lack of protein (less than 16-20%) in the diet. Watch out for your other hens, look for a possible bully, and check to see they are getting at least 90% of chicken layer or all flock feed as their diet. It is tough not being able to get out as much. Hopefully, this hen will heal without too much damage to her vent
Yeah... I feel sure this is pecking. They’re getting 19% protein and occasional kitchen scraps but there’s only two of us so that consists of egg shells, meat scraps and veggie peels as a rule. Plus they have to share the scraps with the other group—turkeys, geese, ducks, roosters. They have around 36 sq ft per bird, though there’s a group of around ten that choose to roam down to the cows even across the snow when I let them. (Then I have to carry them all back at night because the snow is suddenly an impassible barrier. :gig)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Later:

She’s just standing there in her crate. Not shivering, not lying down, not vocalizing, not moving. Just standing there. The garage is heated though not all that warm, but I put a reptile bulb on the crate, pointing obliquely toward the south of the crate. That’s where she’s standing. :idunno I didn’t end up going to town after all. Too much going on. Tomorrow.

Last edited:
Glad you have Vetericyn and the gel is just fine. Use that. The Betadine is to go into her soak water, and I do recommend continuing that.

Your hen is likely injured inside as well as her vent. I still feel an antibiotic would help. Any open wound is an avenue for bacteria to take advantage, and that will only make things worse. If bacteria takes hold inside her, it can spread up into her reproductive system, and you'd be facing a real bad situation. Since you can't apply a topical antibiotic to her insides, an oral antibiotic will cover this. https://pet-healthcare.revivalanimal.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=fish antibiotics

Another thing I suggest is to dim her lighting to discourage egg laying during her healing process so it can give her reproductive tract a chance to heal without continual irritation. You've been wise to give her heat, but not so much as to have her too hot.

Do you have Poultry Nutri-drench? That is a wonderful vitamin drench for very sick chickens. It can give her immune system an important boost.

She needs special high protein food to build her up and help her heal. In addition to her regular feed, treat her with boiled egg, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt.

Another thing not too many people think of when a chicken is sick or injured and needs to be isolated is the patient's emotional well being. Isolation can depress a sick chicken and just as company of a pet or a friend can help perk up a human patient, it helps a chicken patient, also. It can boost the healing process.

While you cannot safely place a chicken buddy in her crate, you can set up a crate next to hers and bring in another chicken to spend time next to her. The proximity of another chicken can do wonders. You can trade off with several chickens so the well chicken does not have to be confined for more than a day at a time.

Thanks! Yes, the water level in her jar has declined significantly and I expect she’s eating—she started right away when I put food in there. Definitely not feeling very good, all the same. She’s produced a bit of solid poop as well. Hopefully she’ll recover.

Since you can't apply a topical antibiotic to her insides, an oral antibiotic will cover this. https://pet-healthcare.revivalanimal.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=fish antibiotics

Which of these at your link would you recommend? Suggested dosage? Thanks for the info—I don’t object to antibiotics for acute trauma... just in cases of chronic conditions (in poultry, I mean). If I can get to town tomorrow, do you think these meds might be available at pet shops?

She needs special high protein food to build her up and help her heal. In addition to her regular feed, treat her with boiled egg, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt.

I gave her mealworms and BOSS but she only ate a couple mealworms while I was watching. It looks like they’ve diminished though, so maybe... I will give her some scrambled egg tomorrow and see if she likes it.

set up a crate next to hers and bring in another chicken to spend time next to her.

I don’t have another crate and leaving right now is really iffy. My mom (on hospice care) isn’t looking good. :confused: I want to be with her, but otoh, I’m supposed to get some meds for her and DH is very good with her. If I go to town though, I’ll get a crate while I’m there. I think you’re right about my pullet needing company. She definitely seems to be pining.

Fish Mox is my favorite. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days right into the beak. Do not dilute in water. You might be able to find it at a pet store or an aquarium store. The mail order place at the link ships out the same day you order.

Back
Top Bottom