Pullet has split beak?

micknapp

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
Hi!
My 9 m/o EE has a split beak. (photo)
092ADF73-D74F-4CE4-9B28-30DD5DE026C9.png

She isn’t having any issues eating or foraging or preening or pecking at people. it has no affect on her life whatsoever. she just looks like she has a gap-tooth. I’ve tried to trim it back and place one of those manicure saver fiber things with superglue on her beak to help it grow out... you know... not split. It just grows out SO fast. i’m Wondering if it’s something i should even bother to try to fix- or if it could cause more issues down the road.
thoughts? Thanks!!

A tool that works really well for paring down beaks one shaving at a time are cat claw trimmer scissors. Use new ones just for your chicken- they're not expensive on amazon or at Walmart.

Amazon.com: WePet Pet Nail Clippers, Professional Claw Trimmer, Scissor for Cats, Dogs, Puppies, Kittens, Hamsters, Rabbits and Small Animals, Sharp, Safe

You can practice on a chicken toenail to start to get a feel for them. Being as they're nice and small, you should be able to whittle away one side and then the other to even things up on top of whatever else you decide to try. It's more of a thin slices type thing, lots of control.

It does seem that chickens with beak disorders grow REALLY fast. My crossbeak roo's beak grew so darn fast- no idea why - so if getting it all to grow at the same rate doesn't work out, I would keep a schedule for a quick trim every so many weeks - depending on what you see.

Back
Top Bottom