Pullet In Shock

sgtsalt79

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
A friend brought their new puppy over and let her loose in the yard before chickens were put away. The puppy chased and caught one of our 8 week old chicks. The chick was still alive, breathing hard but eyes were closed and neck seemed limp. Wrapped her in a towel and put her in a dark quiet room in a box. Three hours later I checked on her and she was still breathing hard with eyes closed but was warm. I gently rested her in a semi-upright position on my lap and gradually gave her water from a dropper. She licked the water with her tongue and her beak moved open and shut each time I dropped water in but her eyes were still closed. I continued to administer droppers of water as long as she seemed to be driking them. Then suddenly she convulsed violently and died right there on my lap. I am devastated, especially to think that I brought on her demise. My husband thinks I gave her too much water and drowned her. I looked everywhere for information about how much water to give a pullet in shock but nowhere mentioned how much. I probably gave her what amounted to two teaspoons of water over the course of 15-20 minutes. For the sake of future chickens in my care, does anyone have an answer to this?

it's not your fault :hugs you did the right thing. Shock kills. The puppy is responsible for its death.
And your husband should be more supportive, or he should take responsibility for trying to fix things next time something goes wrong (and it will).

Back
Top Bottom