pullet laying on medicated started, edible egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, Nov 8, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I just got my first egg and my pullets are on medicated starter still, is the egg edible?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Sure I never had any problems eating those medicated eggs. Be sure to start them on layer feed with your medicated starter so it would be an easy transition for the feed.

I am sure someone else would say otherwise.

Good luck!

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I wouldn't eat it. You should go buy layer pellets and I had mine on grower from 8wks to 18.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on your first egg. Mine were also still on medicated starter/grower when they first laid. I didn't eat them but only because I am super sensitive and allergic to many medications and just didn't want to take the chance.
    However, when I posed basically the same question I learned that lots of people do go ahead and eat them.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Does anyone know how long it takes the medicated stuff to get out of their system?

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    double post

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  7. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    I wouldn' t eat it.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What is your feed medicated with?

If it is only amprolium. Eat away. It is only a thiamine blocker that inhibits growth of cocci so they can't reproduce. If the feed contains a sulfa drug, you only have to worry if you are super sensitive to sulfa drugs yourself. Else, no problem.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with silkiechicken.
    Eat the egg. Some starter/grower feed is medicated. I feed medicated starter/grower to my chicks and straight layer to my big girls. When the little girls start laying and if I have any starter/grower left, I mix it with the layer. I don't worry about it being medicated. The medication is sulfa based. Only a problem if you have alergies to sulfa.

10. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    that would be me ....I am alergic to Sulfa. JMTC:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by